Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

thoughtful Vitis improvment suggestions

Jump to solution

I always value constructive feedback, even if some of it is misguided, and I hope the team who created the new platform wizard in Vitis does too.

1.  When creating a platform in a new workspace based on an XSA (file->new->platform project), change (1) in figure below from "software specification" to "Domain Specification". 

2.  When domains are later added to the platform, we have ability to name the domain, but not this first domain in the platform..  If we want to have our own domain name for this first domain, we must create another one later.  This is an unnecessary burden on the Vitis end user.  So add a first Domain Name textbox (2).

3.  Allow the user to specify the location of the fsbl via dropdown (R5_0 or A53_0).

4.  Add more information on the help on the boot components checkbox (4) at (5).  The current help says no more than the text on the checkbox.

5.  Add a subsequent page to disable drivers for the various BSPs (e.g., I often don't need drivers for custom IP in the FSBL BSP and PMU BSP).  This will speed up the platform build, and reduce the bsp library size.  I know this can be done after the platform is created, but doing it during platform creation may be useful.

maps-mpls_1-1598631044620.png

Regarding BSP library compilations:

6.  Improve bsp Makefile so that dependencies are properly provided.  With this improvement, only those drivers that have changed are recompiled.  Currently, if any driver's code is modified, a platform build re-compiles every driver for the BSP library, and this is unnecessarily time consuming.  Basically, the BSP Makefile currently seems to function as a batch file that re-compiles every driver, whether it needs it or not (and most will not during a typical development flow).  If the user likes an effective clean every build, let that user have a Vitis setting. 

Regarding driver helper tcl scripts ( hw/drivers/IP_v1_0/data/IPNAME.tcl)

7.  Provide or document a simple way to execute the driver tcl script.  Currently, the only way I know how to do this is to modify the BSP drivers, disable the driver, accept, go back, modify BSP driver, enable, and accept.  Too many mouse clicks and too much time consumed after accepting for what should be a single button.

Regarding domain->Board Support Package settings

8.  There is a load BSP settings from file, but no link or button to save these settings.  Also you have to click on the link to figure out that it is looking for a .mss file. 

Regarding domain->Board Support Package settings->drivers

9.  For a custom IP/driver, the drop down offers the standard none, custom driver, or generic driver.  However, the "generic driver" drop down option doesn't seem to have any effect, and will default back to none or the custom driver after you hit OK.  This looks like a bug, or misleading/undocumented feature.

All of these recommendations will help the end Vitis user accomplish more iterations each day, especially when working on non-trivial drivers for custom IP.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @maps-mpls,

Thanks for this great feedback.

A lot of changes have been made to the "new application projcet" window on 2020.1.

1. This has been changed on 2020.1

2. You are able to set the name of the first domain in 2020.1

3. I reported that to our development team.

4. The option name or the help icon are already self explained.

Best regards,
Abdallah

Best regards,
Abdallah
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

8/30/2020 Updates:

Since this has received no reply or acknowledgement yet (hopefully just because it is a weekend), I'll add some other recommendations

1. When we update the platform with a new XSA:

A. The debug configurations should be updated to reference the new bitstream. Currently the existing debug configuration uses a reference to the previous bitstream, and complains when you try to Launch an application on hardware.

B. The tcl scripts (data/myip.tcl, for example) forwarded for custom IP within the XSA are not re-executed, even if a clean project is executed on the platform. A workaround, which will take each user time to discover--that is, to have the custom IP driver tcl scripts run, one must go to the BSP that references the driver, disable the driver to "none", accept, go back to the BSP that references the driver, set to the custom driver, then accept again, the the build the platform project. There may be another more elegant way to do this but that is the workaround I figured out. All of this is non-obvious, and should be automated.

C. So, at the very least, if these common steps are not executed automatically, there should be a prompt when "update hardware specification" is selected to automatically change references descendant debug configurations to use the new bitstream included in the new XSA, and to automatically set the platform project to execute the data/MYIP.tcl scripts to update xparameters.h and other custom functions for the BSPs.  Provide a checkbox option to allow this to be automated if selected.  Any Vitis end user who is counting on functionality are in for a time consuming process to figure out these non-obvious workarounds. The small updates to the platform project's "Update Hardware Specification" wizard could help Vitis end users get their designs to production more quickly, and will hasten the migration from SDK to Vitis for more users.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Hello @hongh  How would I know if Xilinx saw this?  Or if it were in the correct forum? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @maps-mpls,

Thanks for this great feedback.

A lot of changes have been made to the "new application projcet" window on 2020.1.

1. This has been changed on 2020.1

2. You are able to set the name of the first domain in 2020.1

3. I reported that to our development team.

4. The option name or the help icon are already self explained.

Best regards,
Abdallah

Best regards,
Abdallah
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as a solution

View solution in original post