UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

usb-uart connection fails with ZC702 board SDK terminal

Jump to solution

I am following the example project: Running the "Hello World " Application  as outlined in UG1165.   Everything works as expected with building the hardware and exporting to SDK.   I do all of the following as instructed in the document:

Connect the USB cable from J17 (USB UART) to my PC

Ensure SW10 settings are Bit-1 is 0 , Bit-2 is 1 (To select USB-UART).

Configuartion options swithc SW16 is set for JTAG  (00000).

Power up the board and open the SDK project file I previously created.

Open the serial comm utilility and set it up for Conn Type = Serial, Port = COM3, Baud Rate = 115200, 8 Data,1 Stop, Parity = none.

Select File > New> Application Project using the Hello World Template.

Next SDK creates the application project and the bsp , and compiles and creates the ELF file.

Next...In the Project Explore Window I right click on hello_world and select Run as > Run Configurations.  Right click Xilinx C/C++ application(GDB) and click New

Now...When I click RUN in the Run Configuration window (according to the tutorial) a  message should appear asking if I want to launch the application even though configuration of the FPGA is not done.  BUT instead I get the ERROR shown in my screen capture below.  

Note ***  IF I change the Config options SW16 to QUAD SPI Mode and use TERA TERM for the serial port connection then the USB -UART Connection works fine !  So I know its not a cable problem or SW10 settings problem. ???

Would really like to know what is happening here ? Why is SDK not able to make this serial port connection using its own serial communication utility ???

Thanks everyone.

conn_error.PNG

conn_error.PNG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: usb-uart connection fails with ZC702 board SDK terminal

Jump to solution
In step#2, it asks you to connect digilent cable (JTAG cable) to the board. The commands you send from SDK to ZC702 are through the JTAG cable. So, you must need a JTAG cable to run these tests.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

Jump to solution
Try to run using system debugger instead of the GDB debugger. To execute the application using System debugger, you can follow the steps described in the link below:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_4/SDK_Doc/SDK_tasks/sdk_t_tcf_standalone_app_debug_tcf.html
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
From SW10 settings, it looks like you are using Digilent USB-JTAG cable. To make sure that the JTAG connection is up, please open XMD and type- "connect arm hw" command. This will let us know if the cable is connected to the board properly or not.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

hi,

a quick typo in the question you have. SW10 is relating to usb-jtag. if you are trying to use usb-jtag you should set the SW10 to "01" and use the digilent usb cable.

once this is set,

can you simply turn-on the board

launch XMD shell

type the command "connect arm hw"

what does the xmd console say here?

--hs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Sampatd,

Running as System Debugger gives me hello world on the SDK Terminal.  However this requires a JTAG cable connected to the board.  The tutorial I am following is to demonstrate "Hello World" with no bitstream and the board connected only using the USB-UART port  (J17).  I still don't understand why it did not work according to the tutorial document UG1165 ?

ug1165_pg26.PNG
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi smarell,

If I connect a JTAG cable and run the command in XMD It indicates the JTAG chain is detected.   I am able to get hello world on the SDK terminal (with the JTAG cable connected) when I run as system debugger as suggested by Sampatd.  But this was not the intent of the Tutorial I am following  (UG1165  pages 26 - 29).  My understanding is that I should see hello world on the SDK Terminal with just the USB-UART port cable connected to my PC.   Am I missing something ?  

Thanks.

xmd_with_jtagcable.PNG
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
In step#2, it asks you to connect digilent cable (JTAG cable) to the board. The commands you send from SDK to ZC702 are through the JTAG cable. So, you must need a JTAG cable to run these tests.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you Smarell !  Totally missed it . :)

0 Kudos