cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liuyz
Adventurer
Adventurer

where is psu_uart_1 and how to connect to it - ZCU111

Could anyone explain how to connect to psu_uart_1 serial port on RHEL? Or which device (/dev/tty???) is the psu_uart_1 port on ZCU111 board?

When working on UG1209, I'm okay to connect to psu_uart_0 for the examples, such as test_a53. But for the example testapp_r5 in the tutorial, I'm not able to connect to psu_uart_1.

I tried to connect to /dev/ttyUSB[0123] and ttyS[0123], but only got output on /dev/ttyUSB1(psu_uart_0):

Xilinx Zynq MP First Stage Boot Loader 
Release 2020.1   Oct 30 2020  -  02:41:57
PMU-FW is not running, certain applications may not be supported.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
liuyz
Adventurer
Adventurer

Up on further checking the ug1271-zcu111-eval-bd.pdf, it seems that psu_uart_1 is not available on ZCU111 board.

According to the doc:

UART1 (MIO 20-21)
The PS-side UART1 is not connected.

Could anyone confirm this understanding?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @liuyz 

Since MiO20, 21 of UART1 is not wired on the board, it is not possible to communicate with UART1 using MiO20, 21.
Instead, you may be able to pull UART1 to EMiO and assign it to pins AU15, AT15 of UART2.
I don't have ZCU111 so I can't confirm. If you try it, it's better to check with Baremetal instead of Linux.

Thank you
Don't forget to ReplyKudo, and Accept as Solution.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution. If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs
liuyz
Adventurer
Adventurer

@katsuki ,

Thanks for the info. I will try that when needed.

By the way, why you suggest "it's better to check with Baremetal instead of Linux."?

Any reasoning on this?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
katsuki
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@liuyz 

When using Linux, a lot of knowledge and experience such as Device Tree and Device Driver are required.

In the case of Bearmetal programs, the UART registers are directly Read/Write, so it is easy to understand and debug.

Thank you.
Don't forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution. If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs
liuyz
Adventurer
Adventurer

@katsuki Thanks for the advise.

0 Kudos