Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

xilinx platform studio is not opening

hi all,
i have installed xilinx 7.1 edk recently. But whenever i m trying to open xilinx platform studio by clicking on programs---xilinx platform studio 7.1i----xilinx platform studio, a black window coming and going instantly.It is not opening.Can anybody tell me what is the problem? During installation no error occured.
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

A few questions:
-do you have ISE 7 installed?
See here for the corresponding ISE version requirements for EDK:
Note EDK is used for embedded processor development but it still uses ISE for synthesis and implementation

-Does the XILINX environment variable correctly point to your ISE directory?

-Does the XILINX_EDK environment variable correctly point to your EDK directory?

-Does the Path environment variable include references to your ISE and EDK installations, e.g. "%xilinx_edk%\bin\nt;%XILINX%\bin\nt;"

-Are you running a supported operating system?
I don't have the EDK 7.1 release notes handy but it should be with your disks.
This AR lists the newer version requirements:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/18419.htm ( Install - Operating System (OS) Support on Xilinx ISE Design Tools)
7.1 was released quite awhile ago - I suspect it supports Windows2000 and possibly WinXP.

-Did you make sure to install the tools in a directory without a space in it? The newer versions of the tools are a little more forgiving in this regard, but I still recommend against it.

I would start there.

Cheers,
bt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi bt,
thanks for u'r suggestion.Actually xilinx ise was already installed.Can u tell me that how i can chk all these?

Does the XILINX environment variable correctly point to my ISE directory?

-Does the XILINX_EDK environment variable correctly point to my EDK directory?

-Does the Path environment variable include references to my ISE and EDK installations, e.g. "%xilinx_edk%\bin\nt;%XILINX%\bin\nt;"

does it mean both xilinx edk and ise should be in same directory?
Chak
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Theses are Environment Variables that could be found at: My Computer -> right click 'properities' -> Environment Variables -> System Variables.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I have i similar problem. I installed Xilinx ISE 9.2i and then Xilinx Plattform Studio. Xilinx ISE works.

XPS said that my environment variable wasn't set, so I set it. Now im getting this error box:

---------------------------
_xps.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point ?Split@?$StringBase@D@Port@@SA?AV?$vector@V?$StringBase@D@Port@@V?$allocator@V?$StringBase@D@Port@@@_STL@@@_STL@@PBD0_N00@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library libPortability.dll.
OK  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

EDK is sensitive to the ISE versions. So, the best way to set this would be to set the XILINX, XILINX_EDK and PATH variables appropriately.

For example, for a 9.2i installation with ISE installed in C:\Xilinx92i and EDK in C:\EDK92i,

XILINX = C:\Xilinx92i
XILINX_EDK = C:\EDK92i
PATH = %XILINX_EDK%\bin\nt;%XILINX%\bin\nt;%XILINX%\lib\nt

On the same machine if I have 7.1i version of the tools installed in C:\Xilinx71i and EDK in C:\EDK71i, I have to just modify my XILINX and XILINX_EDK variables since $pATH has relative locations:
XILINX = C:\Xilinx71i
XILINX_EDK = C:\EDK71i
PATH = %XILINX_EDK%\bin\nt;%XILINX%\bin\nt;%XILINX%\lib\nt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks, it works now. I actually had version 10 of EDK and 9 of ISE
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

There shouldn't be any space in thepath of workspace as in the documents and setings make a new path like C:\workspace
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I gave it a try and no luck with three lab machines so far, all Dell Optiplex 620

running Windows XP.

The best I can tell is that I setup the environment variables as described,

accounting for a slight change in the install directory for EDK.

The EDK gui is not starting.  I'm,  getting that error:

_xps.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point ??0Port_MsgManInit@@QAE@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library libPortability.dll

This all seems odd as there are several files with that name.  Your advice will be appreciated.

J.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

An issue with libPortability.dll usually comes up when you hav emismatched versions of EDK and ISE. Please make sure that the environment variables XILINX. XILINX_EDK and PATH point to a single version of the tools.

If you still get that error, can you post your XINFO report? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, thanks;

I just tried a fourth machine, with the same results.  The following are the system environment variables:

XILINX
C:\XilinxISE92i

XILINX_EDK
C:\XilinxISE92i\EDK

PATH
%XILINX_EDK%\bin\nt; .... C:\XilinxISE92i\bin\nt;C:\XilinxISE92i\lib\nt;

By Xinfo, do you mean the accessory that comes with ISE?  I'm not sure exactly

what you would like, as there is quite a bit to see.  In any case, I found that I can

export the report in a text file and attached that.  Perhaps I'm overlooking things

but I don't see the libPortability.dll file listed among the System DLLs.

Best Regards;

Jonathan

Message Edited by jmhillatuhartford on 05-26-2008 02:26 PM
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello again;

I have a similar situation with a Dell Optiplex GX280, as before xps does not start

"_xps.exe - Entry Point Not Found"

The procedure entry point ??0Port_MsgManInit@@QAE@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library libPortability.dll

I attached a text file from xinfo.

J.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Regarding your two Xinfo files:

In the first one, it shows that there're entries for ISE 7.1 in PATH variable. Please remove any entries that points to other version of ISE/EDK than what is specified in XILINX and XILINX_EDK variables.

In the second one, it shows ISE/EDK9.1 was installed into ISE9.2 directory. This needs to be double checked.

Generally speaking, any errors regarding an entry point of XPS will have something to do with the ISE path. Always make sure that only the entries for the version that you are using (or want to use) exist in the PATH variable.

-XF   

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks XF for your reply;

Looks like it will be one at a time.  In any case, I do appreciate XInfo as it appears to summarize what the Xilinx tools see, rather than what I or the Windows control panel sees.

Okay, I have removed from PATH any references to previous versions.  No change or improvement to report.  I have attached a new info text file.

In looking at the install.log section the first line is a reference to EDK version 9.1i, but I think thats a red herring.

o These machines have never seen EDK9.1i.

o The fileset.txt section indicates version 9.2i, although the patches have not yet been applied 

o The packaging for the disks indicate version 9.2.

o EDK is installed in my office Windows XP machine and works, the XInfo install.log also has 9.1i in the first line

Thanks so far, my best regards;

J.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

J,

Can you launch EDK shell? (Xilinx Platform Studio --> Accessories --> Launch EDK shell) Do you get any errors/warnings when you launch the shell? 

If the shell comes up, can you try typing 'xps' at the shell?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi C, thanks for your reply;

No, trying to start the EDK shell produces a similar error.  Is libPortability used by the entire EDK system?

xbash.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point ??0Port_MsgManInit@@QAE@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library libPortability.dll.

Thanks again so far.

J.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm revising this note.  In searching this first system I found an old copy of libPortability in an odd location, namely C:\Windows\system32.  I removed the file, moved the Xilinx ISE entries in the PATH right after that for EDK, rebooted, and tried again.

While XPS still did not start, the error changed to a different file, next it was complaining about libxercesc.dll.  In looking deeper into C:\Windows\system32 I found a very large number of old files with the same name as files in the Xilinx 9.2i install directory.

After manually comparing directories and removing files, I have two results.

1) The EDK shell starts, finds an existing Cygwin install, then complains that the password file and group file need to be remade

2) The xpsgui window opens up blank, then locks up.

Well, this takes the cake... any idea how I can automate a fix for this?

J.

Message Edited by jmhillatuhartford on 05-27-2008 09:19 PM
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Please see the previous note, which is now revised.

J.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

This sounds interesting. Perhaps you can just try to remove the C:\windows\system32 from the PATH variable and see if that helps.

What do you mean by finds an existing cygwin install? Is that an install from EDK or another install? Please note that EDK has been suffering with a separate cygwin installed.

The "xpsgui" is not the tool that should be launched, instead, try "xps".

-XF

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Additionally, you could add %XILINX_EDK%\cygwin\bin to the PATH. This way it should use the Cygwin that was installed with EDK and update the registries as well.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks everyone for your replies.  While on one hand I could chase after this, with what I have learned I have more confidence with version 9.2 and have convinced our sysadmin to reformat the lab machines (not too many) earlier than first planned.  With the reformat we will be starting fresh.  I will keep notes and will post anything useful.

Thanks;

J.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I am having the same error message as J. I attached my xInfo exported file. I notice that the PATH is very very long, with multiple entries. Is this normal?

My install directory looks like: C:\Xilinx\9.2\EDK, C:\Xilinx\9.2\ISE

I will also mention that I have 11.1 and 12.1 installed on this machine as well, so there might be some additional compatibility complications.

0 Kudos