UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor pocero
Visitor

xps_tft problem: VGA displays repeated rows

I have a problem when using the xps_tft to output to VGA. I have searched through the forums and Google but I haven't found any clue to solve it.

I have not enough internal memory for the xps_tft video memory (2 MB needed) so I have to use the external Micron RAM.

More information about the FPGA I'm using:

Digilent board datasheet: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1809329/Xilinx/Nexys2_rm.pdf

Xilinx Spartan 3-e datasheet: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1809329/Xilinx/ds312.pdf

This is the process I followed:

- I create a new project with BSB wizard, adding a 16 MB Micron RAM.

- Then I add the xps_tft IP:

> I configure it with "Select TFT interface" disabled, as I want to use the R, G, B, outputs.

> Base address of PLB Attached Video Memory: I set it as 0x82000000 (the same as the MicronRAM base address)

- Then I set the external ports, ucf pins, etc.

After a synthesis without errors, I make a C program to test the VGA output. Let's start by cleaning the screen and then let's write a pixel to see if it works... but here comes the problem. If I write a pixel (for example, the (0,0) where the first number is the row and the second one is the column), six pixels are shown (a vertical bar of pixels instead of a pixel).

What is happening is that he screen shows the first row repeated six times, then the second row... so if I write the first 80 rows, they fill the screen (80 x 6 = 480 rows). Let's see an image example in which I set the first row to red and the second row to green:

rows_ok.png

rows_bad.png

XTft_SetPixel(&TftInstance, 0, 0, 0x00FF0000);  -> If I debug the program, this instruction writes the color value to the external memory base address 0x82000000. This seems to be OK, and the colums are well drawn to the VGA screen.

So, what could be the problem?

More information:

- EDK 11.4, also tested with 12.3 (both using the xps_tft 2.01a controller)

- Here is the EDK 11.4 project file if you want to check it (the C source code is in workspace\colores folder):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1809329/Xilinx/TFT_0.zip

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: xps_tft problem: VGA displays repeated rows

I got the same problem with you.

I'm using NEXYS3.

I think what matters is the external memory. In the xps_tft datasheet , using the mpmc ip core which is coresponding to sdram ddr, not cell ram in the nexys board.

0 Kudos
Visitor markhillig
Visitor

I am seeing the same thing on my Nexys 3 using the cellular RAM.  Did either of you resolve this issue?    Is it related to cacheing?  Please post what you changed to make it work.  Thanks.

/**************************************
* Mark Hillig
**************************************/
0 Kudos
Visitor ividovi2
Visitor

Did anyone solve this problem?

I have a similar problem on Nexys3 board. I've created simple microblaze system and added XPS_tft controler. After that, I've added xtft_example.c code from XPS_tft component examples to SDK project.

My problem is that I can see only 120 rows on monitor (0 - 119). After reading this post, I realized that, in my case, every pixel is shown with 4 pixels.

Any information will be useful.

If you need more details about my problem/project, please let me know.

0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the same problem. Have you been able to solve this proiblema?

0 Kudos