UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

2014.2 Image Build Processes Error

Explorer

2014.2 Image Build Processes Error

I have been attempting to follow the updated UG981 to learn the new process of 2014.2 in comparison with 2014.1 (petalinux and sdk).

Im currently having trouble building a bootable image, while i have done this hundreds of times with 2014.1.

The boot processes for 2014.1 was:

IN SDK:

- Important hardware platform from Vivado

- Build FSBL and FSBL_bsp from new hw_platform

- Build petalinux_bsp from new hw_platform(this requires the petalinux edk repo to be selected under the sdk repo options)

Terminal

- Create a new template petalinux project: "petalinux-create --type project --template zynq --name petalinux_project"

- Merge hardware platform with project: Inside petalinux_project send the command "petalinux_config --get-hw-description=/path/to/petalinux/bsp"

- use petalinux-config, petalinux-config -c kernel, and petalinux-config -c rootfs to configure the build for my zc702 board environment

- Build project: "petalinux-build"

- Build BOOT.BIN: "petalinux-package --boot --fsbl /path/to/fsbl.elf --fpga /path/to/bit --uboot"

At this point i have a image.ub and boot.bin to throw on a sd card and boot from

What steps are different for the new 2014.2 method? There seems to no longer be a petalinux_bsp anymore but rather a device_tree_bsp? That device_tree_bsp appears to have the ability to designate an OS, yet petalinux isn't available. How do i merge my hardware platform to my petalinux project without the petalinux bsp?

I've found a command to merge hw_platform and petalinux project: Inside hw_platform_0 send the command "petalinux-config --get-hw-description -p /path/to/petalinux_project"
, that appeared to have merged it but when i do "petalinux-build" next it fails with the following error:

force@force-Precision-WorkStation-T3500:~/workspace/Test_zc702/2014.2/Test1/petalinux_project$ petalinux-build
INFO: Checking component...
INFO: Generating make files and build linux
INFO: Generating make files for the subcomponents of linux
INFO: Building linux
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/fwupgrade
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/peekpoke
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/uWeb
[INFO ] build system.dtb
[INFO ] build linux/kernel
[INFO ] update linux/u-boot source
[INFO ] generate linux/u-boot configuration files
[INFO ] build linux/u-boot
[INFO ] Setting up stage config
[INFO ] Setting up rootfs config
[INFO ] Updating for armv7a-vfp-neon
[INFO ] Updating package manager
[INFO ] Expanding stagefs
[ERROR] Errors were encountered while processing:
[ERROR] E: Sub-process /opt/petalinux-v2014.2-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
[ERROR] make[2]: *** [.pkg_stagefs] Error 255
[ERROR] make[1]: *** [sub_build_component_/none/packages-repo/single/plnx-repo] Error 2
ERROR: Failed to build linux
force@force-Precision-WorkStation-T3500:~/workspace/Test_zc702/2014.2/Test1/petalinux_project$

So if anyone has a better set of direction then the documentation that isn't very clear, id appreciate it! thanks!

Scholar

Re: 2014.2 Image Build Processes Error

Hi,

I'm seeing that same build error and it's being looked at. Stay tuned as more details are figured out.

Thanks.
Scholar

What host OS are you running as that could be helpful?
Explorer

Thanks John,

Nice to know im not alone on this one.

Explorer

Im currently running Ubuntu, i know its not supported but havn't had any issues with it in the past.

Scholar

Which version of Ubuntu?
And is this a VM or not? If a VM, is it your old VM you were running with the older Petalinux?
Sorry for the number of questions, but the answers can help.
Explorer

Oh no worries, ask all the questions you want.

I believe its Ubuntu 12.02 but i'll go verify it in the lab after i send this message off.

It is not running on a VM, i have a dedicated linux development machine for it, and yes this is the exact same environment that i was running with the older petalinux. In all actuality when i upgraded to the 2014.2 version of sdk and petalinux, i still have the older version on the machine. All i did after installing was give petalinux a unique name in my /opt/ directory, change my environment setting to recognize $petalinux, change my bashrc file to always source the new 2014.2 vivado settings, and 2014.2 petalinux settings. After that it should be fine, if i need to i can always change those configurations back to my old petalinux to verify its still working fine.

Hope that helps, and i'll let ya know if i got that ubuntu version wrong at all, but im pritty sure thats what it is.

Explorer

Version is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, i was close but alittle off.

Explorer

boot.log file attached

Visitor

Also ran into same issue and am currently runnging Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit).