UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

2014.2 Image Build Processes Error

Visitor

Re: 2014.2 Image Build Processes Error

I also got the same error:
  [INFO ] Expanding rootfs
  [ERROR] Errors were encountered while processing:
  [ERROR] E: Sub-process /home/user/petalinux/
    petalinux-v2014.2-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg
    returned an error code (1)
  [ERROR] make[2]: *** [.pkg_rootfs_expand] Error 255
  [ERROR] make[1]: *** [sub_install_component_/none/
     packages-repo/single/plnx-repo] Error 2
  ERROR: Failed to build linux

Just as a work-around, you could fix up the error by following instructions below:
 $ petalinux-build
 $ petalinux-build -c rootfs
 $ petalinux-build

Explorer

Unfortunately that work around does not work for me.

I'm still surprised such a primary functionality doesn't work properly. Anyone else have a work around? Is there an AR for this?

Scholar

I heard from one person the 3rd time they try to build it works.  That sounds very odd.  I just tried to confirm that on my system and it appeared to go ahead and work the 2nd time after the error. I've not tested the build yet, but the images are there.

Explorer

Attempting to build the project multiple times doesn't seem to make it work for me, even though i agree that would sound very odd if that worked. I wonder whats different about my setup. I created a webcase for this and will post any conclusions it brings up.

Visitor

I had a similar problem with petalinux-build 2014.2 (on Mint 17) failing after "[INFO ] Expanding stagefs"and it turned out to be the update-rc.d script. Check your build.log in the petalinux project. It is has errors like:

[ALL  ] dpkg: error processing /opt/petalinux-v2014.2-final/components/packages-repo/plnx-repo/pool/main/m/modutils-initscripts/modutils-initscripts_1.0-r7_armv7a-vfp-neon.deb (--unpack):
[ALL  ]  subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
[ALL  ] configured to not write apport reports
[ALL  ] update-rc.d: error: unknown option
[ALL  ] usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove
[ALL  ]        update-rc.d [-n] <basename> defaults [NN | SS KK]
[ALL  ]        update-rc.d [-n] <basename> start|stop NN runlvl [runlvl] [...] .
[ALL  ]        update-rc.d [-n] <basename> disable|enable [S|2|3|4|5]
[ALL  ]         -n: not really
[ALL  ]         -f: force
[ALL  ]
[ALL  ] The disable|enable API is not stable and might change in the future.

My work around: find the update-rc.d_0.7-r5_all.deb (I found it in /opt/petalinux-v2014.2-final/components/packages-repo/plnx-repo/pool/main/u/update-rc.d) in and extract it somewhere convenient.

Back up the old update-rc.d

Overwrite update-rc.d with the version found in update-rc.d_0.7-r5_all.deb

Run the petalinux-build again and see what happens.

Visitor

I got the same problem on centos 6.5

For me the solution to place the "update-rc.d" in place didn't worked.

I tried to build the zedboard BSP, there were symbolic links in the project directory to update-rc.d that were broken.

After setting the update-rc.d in place (extracted out of .deb file) the problem stays unchanged.

Any idea how to solve this - or is it normal that the BSP of the zedboard is not buildable?

Best regards 

Explorer

Just an Update:

John's fix eventually did work for me after changing my method of merging the hardware with the petalinux project. Apparantly it matters, merging the hw_platform_0 directory with the petalinux project "works" though when you attempt to build it always fails to build. While merging the hdf file directly with the petalinux project, then allows the multi-build method to finally work. This is due to some complicated reasoning with Ubuntu vs Petalinux that i don't totally understand so won't try to explain.

All that being said, i think im going to hold off on 2014.2 for a month or two until some of these general issues get resolved.

Visitor

Now it works after installing libselinux.i686 (sudo yum install libselinux.i686)

solution was found on: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Make-to-compile-the-Petalinux-software-image-but-quot-returned/td-p/377389

Visitor rti
Visitor

What about Ubuntu?

My build succeeded on the third attempt though.

Xilinx Employee

We've been seeing this a bit on unsupported OS's -- namely Ubuntu (and those based on it) .

It has to do with PetaLinux using dpkg for the rootFS management and also the host OS using dpkg.  The incorrect version of dpkg is being picked up during the rootFS build process.

A simple workaround is to pre-pend the *full path* to the PetaLinux install's copy of dpkg to your $PATH.

The better long-term workaround is to stick to the supported OS's listed in the PetaLinux installation guide.  We are investigating supporting other OS's (including Ubuntu) officially in an upcoming PetaLinux release.

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank