cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpjday
Contributor
Contributor

2019.2: building kernel, "drivers/spi/spi-mem.c:343: undefined reference to `update_stripe'"

Jump to solution

"petalinux-build" -c kernel with PL 2019.2, building for example ZCU102 .hdf file, results in:

| LD vmlinux.o
| MODPOST vmlinux.o
| aarch64-xilinx-linux-ld.bfd: drivers/spi/spi-mem.o: in function `spi_mem_exec_op':
| /home/rpjday/xilinx/builds/zcu102/components/plnx_workspace/sources/linux-xlnx/drivers/spi/spi-mem.c:343: undefined reference to `update_stripe'
| aarch64-xilinx-linux-ld.bfd: /home/rpjday/xilinx/builds/zcu102/components/plnx_workspace/sources/linux-xlnx/drivers/spi/spi-mem.c:343:(.text+0x7c0): relocation truncated to fit: R_AARCH64_CALL26 against undefined symbol `update_stripe'
| make[2]: *** [/home/rpjday/xilinx/builds/zcu102/components/plnx_workspace/sources/linux-xlnx/Makefile:1032: vmlinux] Error 1
| make[1]: *** [Makefile:146: sub-make] Error 2
| make: *** [Makefile:24: __sub-make] Error 2
| ERROR: oe_runmake failed
| WARNING: /home/rpjday/xilinx/builds/zcu102/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/linux-xlnx/4.19-xilinx-v2019.2+git999-r0/temp/run.do_compile.18905:1 exit 1 from 'exit 1'
| ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/rpjday/xilinx/builds/zcu102/build/tmp/work/plnx_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/linux-xlnx/4.19-xilinx-v2019.2+git999-r0/temp/log.do_compile.18905)
ERROR: Task (/home/rpjday/xilinx/2019.2/components/yocto/source/aarch64/layers/meta-xilinx/meta-xilinx-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx_2019.2.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 690 tasks of which 681 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

This is on a Ubuntu 18.04 LTS development system. Is one expected to move to a newer version of the kernel or what?

rday

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rpjday
Contributor
Contributor

For completeness, I wiped the entire "zcu102" directory and started a brand new project (zynqMP template), and used as the basis for configuration the sample system.xsa file from GitHub: https://github.com/Xilinx/hdf-examples/tree/master/zcu102-zynqmp

At the configuration menu, I changed nothing, exited and saved, then:

$ petalinux-build -c kernel

and now it builds fine, so I'm baffled. I searched and found this recent example of precisely that error (right near the top):

https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg767832.html

but, apparently, I can't reproduce it, so I'll just chalk it up as a mystery.

rday

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aravindb

HI @rpjday 

Could you please let me know what extra kernel confgigurations you have enabled before building it. Ideally you should not get any errors if you build 2019.2 on ubuntu 18.04 machine.

Thanks & regards

Aravind

0 Kudos
rpjday
Contributor
Contributor

I'll be able to test this upon return to the office -- I *believe* I did not add any configuration other than trying to build a generic ZCU102 based on hdf-examples from GitHub. Stay tuned ...

rday

P.S. As I read it, supported distros include up to Ubuntu 18.04.2, while I am on 18.04.3 -- is it possible there's just enough of a difference to cause this? I'm just throwing out ideas.

0 Kudos
aravindb

HI @rpjday 

I dont think only that 18.04.causing asn issue, Let me know your kernel configuration once. Let me build at myend & update you.

Aslo can you pleas try to do mrproper & build again, below are the commands.

petalinux-build -x mrproper

petalinux-config

petalinux-build

Thanks & regards

Aravind

0 Kudos
rpjday
Contributor
Contributor

For completeness, I wiped the entire "zcu102" directory and started a brand new project (zynqMP template), and used as the basis for configuration the sample system.xsa file from GitHub: https://github.com/Xilinx/hdf-examples/tree/master/zcu102-zynqmp

At the configuration menu, I changed nothing, exited and saved, then:

$ petalinux-build -c kernel

and now it builds fine, so I'm baffled. I searched and found this recent example of precisely that error (right near the top):

https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg767832.html

but, apparently, I can't reproduce it, so I'll just chalk it up as a mystery.

rday

View solution in original post

0 Kudos