UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

AXI I2C device tree node.

Jump to solution

Can anybody post a correct device tree node for Xilinx AXI I2C IP for Xilinx kernel 3.14.2 which comes with Petalinux 2014.2?

In a hardware design I got 2 PS I2C and 1 PL AXI I2C and I enabled both Cadence and Xilinx I2C drivers in a kernel config. And PS I2C modules getting detected at boot time and work just fine, but not a AXI one.

I tried different 'compatible' strings with no luck including "xlnx,xps-iic-2.00.a" which I found in xilinx i2c driver. If I set it to be Cadence version - it failed to detect clock source and I can't figure out correct clock source for AXI I2C. Anybody got it to work with latest kernel from Xilinx?

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: AXI I2C device tree node.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the only response.

I already solved my problem. Apparently, axy-i2c device tree node must have interrupt defined. In my hardware design I left interrupt unconnected and autogenerated device tree node have interrupt value ommitted, something like "interrupts = <0  4>;" Once I set it to some number driver started to see it. Not sure if I really needed an interrupt, but I went and changed my hardware design to have a real value to set to.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I'm not the one responsible for generating the DTS here, but apparently Vivado generates the following within the _ps.dtsi.

143     ps7_i2c_0: ps7-i2c@e0004000 {                                               
144       bus-id = <0>;                                                             
145       clock-frequency = <400000>;                                               
146       clocks = <&clkc 38>;                                                      
147       compatible = "cdns,i2c-r1p10";                                            
148       interrupt-parent = <&ps7_scugic_0>;                                       
149       interrupts = <0 25 4>;                                                    
150       reg = <0xe0004000 0x1000>;                                                
151       xlnx,has-interrupt = <0x1>;                                               
152       xlnx,i2c-reset = "";                                                      
153     } ;      

I then have a separate .dtsi that includes the I2C slaves.

10 &ps7_i2c_0 {                                                                    
 11   #address-cells = < 1 >;                                                       
 12   #size-cells = < 0 >;                                                          
 13   q7adc: max11613@34 {                                                          
 14     compatible = "maxim,max11613";                                              
 15     reg = <0x34>;                                                               
 16     vcc-supply = <&q7_3v3>;                                                     
 17   };                                                                            
 18   q7rtc: ab-rtcmc@56 {                                                          
 19     compatible = "abracon,ab-rtcmc";                                            
 20     reg = <0x56>;                                                               
 21   };                                                                            
 22 } ; 

How does this compare to what is generated by your tools?

Joshua

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the only response.

I already solved my problem. Apparently, axy-i2c device tree node must have interrupt defined. In my hardware design I left interrupt unconnected and autogenerated device tree node have interrupt value ommitted, something like "interrupts = <0  4>;" Once I set it to some number driver started to see it. Not sure if I really needed an interrupt, but I went and changed my hardware design to have a real value to set to.

0 Kudos
Visitor snehaputhani
Visitor

Jump to solution

Did u use cadence driver or xilinx xps-iic driver in the device tree node?

I am facing the same issue with cadence driver, its regarding the input clock source.

axi_iic:i2c@41600000 {
            compatible = "cdns,i2c-r1p10";
            reg = < 0x41600000 0x10000 >;
            interrupt-parent = <&ps7_scugic_0>;
            interrupts = <0 32 4>;
            i2c-clk = <100000>;
            input-clk = <111111111>;
            #size-cells = <0>;
            #address-cells = <1>;

};

The above is my device tree node for axi-i2c.

If i use xilinx driver as shown below:

axi_iic:i2c@41600000 {
            compatible = "xlnx,xps-iic-2.00.a";
            reg = < 0x41600000 0x10000 >;
            interrupt-parent = <&ps7_scugic_0>;
            interrupts = <0 32 4>;
            xlnx,ten-bit-adr = <0x0>;
            xlnx,gpo-width = <0x1>;
            #size-cells = <0>;
            #address-cells = <1>;
        };

I can see i2c-0 under /dev folder.

But the issue is that read and write always fails with error no 110.  The error is " connection timed out" error.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Participant vijaydhoki
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi @snehaputhani i'm getting a reg property error while compiling the kernel source ,will you please how to do that .

0 Kudos