UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor paul.hein
Visitor

Access I2C from u-Boot

I am using the PicoZed Board FMC2 version.

I want to boot this board into u-Boot and use the i2c interface here, to access multiple i2c devices. (the FMC2 Board will in the future be replaced, this is for a test run).

My current way of building u-Boot follows this example.

1. Create a Vivado 2017.2 project, (following the tutorial 8 http://picozed.org/support/design/13076/106

with ps i2c, enable it an mio 14 mio 15). Create hdl wrapper, build bitstream, export hardware with bitstream. to create a .hdl file.

2. Create a petalinux project:

$ petalinux-create --type project --template zynq --name <plnx-proj-root>
$ cd <Vivado Folder>/<Vivado Folder>.sdk/
$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description -p <plnx-proj-root>
$ cd <plnx-proj-root>
$ petalinux-build

just use standard settings

After that i would create a u-Boot BOOT.bin

petalinux-package --boot --format BIN --fsbl ./images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf --u-boot --force

and put it onto the sd-card and boot up into u-boot and open it in a terminal like MobaXTerm.

(even flashing the fpga via the sdk to include the i2c tutorial from picozed, does not change anything, for the following situation)

I have 3 resulting problems:

1) Is my way of doing things correct?

2) If i do these steps with the 2017.2 toolchain u-boot never includes a i2c executable which i could run from the shell.

But if i use the 2017.3 toolchain i can use the i2c tool/program/executable.

3) if i run the i2c program from the 2017.3 toolchain generated version, i can not see anything if i use i2c probe to check if the max44000 is available on the i2c bus.

What i just want to do is use the u-boot to communicate with my i2c devices. The question is, how?

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Access I2C from u-Boot

You would need to review the devicetree, to make sure that the i2c nodes are added.

For example, if you are using a PicoZed, then you would be using the zynq_picozed_defconfig in the uboot settings in Petalinux.

This points to the zynq-picozed.dts. However, here it doesnt look like there are any i2c nodes added. So, you would have to add these manually to the system-user.dtsi in Petalinux project.

0 Kudos
Visitor paul.hein
Visitor

I have 2 new problems with this solution.

1. Which settings should i add into the dtsi file?

Copying the info from here: https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/blob/master/arch/arm/boot/dts/zynq-zc702.dts line 111- 138 (plus closing braces)

brought me just a compilation error for the device tree.

I mean i am just want to see my i2c devices through u-boot, with picozed and the fmc 2 board.

2. Because of decisions i could not influence, i had to change to the 2016.3 version.

How could i activate i2c here? because i can't find the necessary dtsi file. And also don't know what to input.

0 Kudos

You would need to add the nodes for your I2C devices in the system-user.dtsi. 

I cant tell what the content would be, as I dont know what HW you have on the FMC.

Could be eeprom, an osc? ect..

Have a look at the zcu102 devicetree as a reference

0 Kudos
Visitor paul.hein
Visitor

Well i am using this development board:

https://www.avnet.com/shop/us/p/kits-and-tools/development-kits/avnet-engineering-services/aes-pzcc-fmc-v2-g-3074457345630043757/

And which file is the equivalent dtsi file for petalinux 2016.3?

0 Kudos