cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Access I2C from u-Boot

I am using the PicoZed Board FMC2 version.

I want to boot this board into u-Boot and use the i2c interface here, to access multiple i2c devices. (the FMC2 Board will in the future be replaced, this is for a test run).

My current way of building u-Boot follows this example.

1. Create a Vivado 2017.2 project, (following the tutorial 8 http://picozed.org/support/design/13076/106

with ps i2c, enable it an mio 14 mio 15). Create hdl wrapper, build bitstream, export hardware with bitstream. to create a .hdl file.

2. Create a petalinux project:

$ petalinux-create --type project --template zynq --name <plnx-proj-root>
$ cd <Vivado Folder>/<Vivado Folder>.sdk/
$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description -p <plnx-proj-root>
$ cd <plnx-proj-root>
$ petalinux-build

just use standard settings

After that i would create a u-Boot BOOT.bin

petalinux-package --boot --format BIN --fsbl ./images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf --u-boot --force

and put it onto the sd-card and boot up into u-boot and open it in a terminal like MobaXTerm.

(even flashing the fpga via the sdk to include the i2c tutorial from picozed, does not change anything, for the following situation)

I have 3 resulting problems:

1) Is my way of doing things correct?

2) If i do these steps with the 2017.2 toolchain u-boot never includes a i2c executable which i could run from the shell.

But if i use the 2017.3 toolchain i can use the i2c tool/program/executable.

3) if i run the i2c program from the 2017.3 toolchain generated version, i can not see anything if i use i2c probe to check if the max44000 is available on the i2c bus.

What i just want to do is use the u-boot to communicate with my i2c devices. The question is, how?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

You would need to review the devicetree, to make sure that the i2c nodes are added.

For example, if you are using a PicoZed, then you would be using the zynq_picozed_defconfig in the uboot settings in Petalinux.

This points to the zynq-picozed.dts. However, here it doesnt look like there are any i2c nodes added. So, you would have to add these manually to the system-user.dtsi in Petalinux project.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I have 2 new problems with this solution.

1. Which settings should i add into the dtsi file?

Copying the info from here: https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/blob/master/arch/arm/boot/dts/zynq-zc702.dts line 111- 138 (plus closing braces)

brought me just a compilation error for the device tree.

I mean i am just want to see my i2c devices through u-boot, with picozed and the fmc 2 board.

2. Because of decisions i could not influence, i had to change to the 2016.3 version.

How could i activate i2c here? because i can't find the necessary dtsi file. And also don't know what to input.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You would need to add the nodes for your I2C devices in the system-user.dtsi. 

I cant tell what the content would be, as I dont know what HW you have on the FMC.

Could be eeprom, an osc? ect..

Have a look at the zcu102 devicetree as a reference

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Well i am using this development board:

https://www.avnet.com/shop/us/p/kits-and-tools/development-kits/avnet-engineering-services/aes-pzcc-fmc-v2-g-3074457345630043757/

And which file is the equivalent dtsi file for petalinux 2016.3?

0 Kudos