Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Adding Qualcomm Atheros (ath10) support to petalinux

Hi,

I am trying to interface a wifi module based on Qualcomm chip set (ath-10). I am working on a custom embedded board which is powered by Zynq Ultrascale SoC and the board is connected through a pcie connector on board. I enabled the ps-pcie module in vivado PCW wizard and made the pcie port as a root port.

I also enabled NWL-pcie driver in the kernel and also the other required components

Networking support -> Wireless, enable cfg80211,Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (MAC80211).  

Device Drivers -> Network device support -> Ethernet driver support->Atheros Devices.  

Device Drivers -> Network device support -> Wireless LAN -> Atheros/Qualcomm devices and I am compiled as modules both Atheros 802.11ac wireless card support and atheros ath10k pcie support 

and I have the two kernel modules ath10k_core.ko and ath10k_pci.ko present at /lib/modules/4.9.0/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath10k.

However I cannot load them modprobe says the requested module is not found at /lib/modules/4.9.0/ and insmod returns unresolved symbols error.

Are there any other dependencies?

nwl-pcie is not finding the device and on bootup it always says pcie link is down. Doing an lspci returns this

00:00.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Xilinx Corporation Device d011

So, Is there any device tree binding necessary for making qualcomm chipsets enumerate?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Adding Qualcomm Atheros (ath10) support to petalinux

Did you end up ever figuring this out?  I found this answer and wondered if it could help.  I wonder if there is something needed to be done at the petalinux build phase?

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Adding-packages-to-PetaLinux/td-p/782849

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

I did figure it out quite a long time ago. I did my own hacks to make the pcie device enumarate and work as intended. My problem was multi pronged not just related to loading the kernel modules. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Was it an issue due to Petalinux?  I'm looking at throwing down an ath10 device but after seeing your thread here I'm not sure I want to.  I have to avoid as much software dev time as possible.  

Do you think later linux kernels would have cleared up the driver issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

If you can describe your problem briefly. I can try to help. 

I had my issue from fsbl and also xilinx kernel. Had to add some hooks to fsbl and had to add a few lines of code to kernel source in order to overcome firmware loading issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for all the replies, by the way!

I haven't built anything yet.  I'm the hardware designer trying to make it easy for the software developers by using hardware that is supported with drivers already.  I have narrowed my selection to ath9k and ath10k supported chips.  I'd prefer to use the ath10k supported hardware so I can use 5 GHz.  

Would you have any suggestions?  We're using custom hardware wtih zynq ultrascale+.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

ath10k devices and their drivers are perfectly supported by petalinux. I used them in 2017.4, 2018.1 and also 2018.3 versions of petalinux. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks!
0 Kudos