UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer tkato@poc.com
Observer

Adding custom environments variables and kernel offsets in Petalinux (platform-auto.h)

Jump to solution

Hi I'm attempting to create different boot arguments to load different kernel images in a Zynq Ultrscale+ based on a preset value. The 2 kernel/rootfs images are stored in QSPI. The images are generated in buildroot while the u-boot image is created using petalinux 2018.3.

I would like to modify and add envirnment variables, mainly updating kernel size/offsets as well as changing the boot argumemnts. The flow being that our u-boot image would boot up using a the desired kernel. So if I wanted to overwrite the default bootcmd from:

bootcmd=run default_bootcmd 

to something like:

bootcmd=if test $bootpart = 1; then run kernelImage1; else run kernelImage2;

where kernelImage1 and kernelImage2 both does an sf probe to to load the bitstream and kernel + rootfs of images stored at different offsets.

Would the ideal place to change these variables be in platform-top.h using the information from platform-auto.h as documented here:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69780.html

If not, where would one change/add environment variables for custom configurations and designs?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer tkato@poc.com
Observer

Re: Adding custom environments variables and kernel offsets in Petalinux (platform-auto.h)

Jump to solution

To be clear, if I wanted to add extra custom environment variables I would need to add them as a part of CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS in which I would first have to copy the entire value of CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS  found in platform-auto.h into platform-top.h and add the new variable there, correct? This is the method explained in AR#60780 (for 2016.4-2017.4) still apply to 2018.3?

For reference:

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Adding custom environments variables and kernel offsets in Petalinux (platform-auto.h)

Jump to solution

Hi 

In petalinux, platform-top.h file is the ideal one to make any uboot environment changes. platform-auto.h is autogenerated by tool and is not recommended to edit

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
Observer tkato@poc.com
Observer

Jump to solution

To be clear, if I wanted to add extra custom environment variables I would need to add them as a part of CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS in which I would first have to copy the entire value of CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS  found in platform-auto.h into platform-top.h and add the new variable there, correct? This is the method explained in AR#60780 (for 2016.4-2017.4) still apply to 2018.3?

For reference:

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi tkato@poc.com ,

Yes as I mentioned in AR #60780 you need to copy the CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS from platform-auto.h to platform-top.h and then append your additional variables. This concept applies to all version of petalinux(2016.4 onwards)

The content of CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS in platform-auto.h is generated based on your "petalinux-config" settings + default xilinx zynqmp env variables.

Note: If you don't copy CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS from platform-auto.h to platform-top.h then you lose your "petalinux-config" settings.

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I plan to boot from different paration BOOT.BIN, image.ub, rootfs.jffs2 storeed in QSPI flash the same as you. But i feel confused. I only see bootstart, kernelstart. I don't see rootfsstart in environment variable. How to u-boot know where offset of rootfs.jffs2

Have you try to boot from 2 paration BOOT.BIN, image.ub, rootfs.jffs2 storeed in QSPI flash?

How to impliment it?

Thanks and brgs.

0 Kudos