UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Adding software packages to PetaLinux system?

It appears that the set of software packages available in "petalinux-v2014.4-final/components/packages-repo/plnx-repo" for a PetaLinux system is very limited, and I haven't found any doco about extending it.

I've been writing an ALSA soundcard device driver module and would like to install PulseAudio and some ALSA and PulseAudio utilities to test it and make use of it.  Are there any suggested or prefered ways of doing this?  Are there other options?  Or should I give up on PetaLinux and figure out how to add my module to another linux flavour like Linaro?

Steve

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Adding software packages to PetaLinux system?

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/55998.html

Can you check this and see if this helps?

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Achutha.  Interesting idea.  The drawback I guess is that this needs manual dependency management and would have to be done for all the library dependencies.  I'm not yet sure that I want to go that way.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Yocto is likely a better direction to go and there is a Xilinx layer.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks John.  I've taken a quick look and it superficially looks promising.  It appears to support application development, but do you know off the top of your head if it will support the kernel driver module I've been devloping?

Steve

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Steve,

I'm not an expert but it appears to me you can do anything in Yocto if you know how. It's a bit complicated and getting thru the layers of bitbake and stuff are not trivial but in the end it's a good tool. So you need to plan enough time would be my advice to learn it.

Thanks
John
0 Kudos
Participant rankeney
Participant

Adding modules is relatively easy. You can do a petalinux-create -t module -n alps --enable and it will set up a directory in which you can create the module. After a petalinux-build, the module will be installed when you boot.

If you're interested in building software directly in Petalinux, have a look at https://zynqing.wordpress.com/2015/10/13/compiling-on-petalinux/ where I describe a C/C++ Clang-based compiler that runs on Petalinux. I've built a few elaborate things this way, but not a kernel. It's fairly slow to build anything big, but sometimes easier than cross-compiling, and it has a gdb debugger you can use.

Robert

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Robert, but the question was about 3rd party package and software repository.  I already have modules and apps under petalinux.

0 Kudos