cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Black screen after vdma is enabled

1. When the VIPP driver is loaded it expects the VDMA driver as well to load along

2.When the VDMA driver is loaded I could see the screen blacks out.

3. Due to VIPP driver I could register the subdevices.

4. I am using the VDMA as is. Without making any configuration changes?.

What is going wrong how to analyze the issue to get a clear cut picture of the same.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @thenumberdevil 

Did you make sure KMS/DRM ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

@watari 

I do not have DRM/KMS. VDMA is directly writing the data to the Video Mixture.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @thenumberdevil 

Is there VTC or some like CRTC in your design ?

If yes, did you set proper parameter on VTC (CRTC) ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @watari ,

Thank you for the response . I am attaching the part of the design for reference. 

Annotation 2020-09-25 082930.jpg

As a basic debugging, What I observe is when I enable the VDMA, the screen becomes black. Else it works as expected.

Is it possible that vdma configuration is going wrong.

Annotation 2020-09-25 082930.jpg
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @thenumberdevil 

Got it.

In this case, I suggest you to make sure status value on "AXI4Stream to Video out" ip to investigate the route cause.

Would you share this value ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @watari ,

I will do what you have asked me to check?. I have further questions to understand the context of the problem. 

My understanding as per the design.

1. The scalers forward the data through vdma write channel to the DDR, And the data is read back using the read channel to the mixer.

2. The mixer has several layers and superimpose one layer on top of another and forwards the composed picture to the AXIS interface which further forwards it to the HDMI output.

3. In my test setup, I have two video sources are played out. One is logo and another is input video from TPG. As I boot the logo stays without any change, But the input from the TPG is completely disappearing.

Question

1. How checking the "AXI4Stream to Video out" ip will show the rootcause of the problem.

2. How can check the same?.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Hi @thenumberdevil 

Sorry for my late reply.

>1. How checking the "AXI4Stream to Video out" ip will show the rootcause of the problem.

1. Connect status port on "AXI4Stream to Video out" and "ILA" IP to monitor internal signals.

2. Capture status signal by ILA on your board.

Would you try it ?

Also, these URLs are helpful for you.

Would you refer them, too ?

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video-and-Audio/Video-Beginner-Series-7-How-does-the-AXI4-Stream-to-Video-Out-IP/td-p/864467

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video-and-Audio/Video-Beginner-Series-8-Debugging-the-AXI4-Stream-to-Video-Out/td-p/866346

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-and-Debug-Techniques-Blog/Video-Series-31-Debugging-a-Video-System-using-an-ILA/ba-p/1004299

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

@watari,

Thank you  for the feedback. What I found  is after resetting the VDMA IP block, it is not recovering back. Now I am not allowing to work by disabling the write functionality. Since the VDMA is initailized using the Baremetal application It works. I will be investigating this issue further and report back.

Thank you.

0 Kudos