UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor njohnston
Visitor

Boot Petalinux Without U-Boot on ZCU102

Hello,

I've been given a ZCU102 eval kit and I'm currently trying to test the booting of a linux kernel.  So far, I've managed to use the PetaLinux tools to build a BOOT.BIN and image.ub and I've successfully used those to boot into linux from an SD card.  I did this by just following the standard instructions from the PetaLinux Tools Reference Guide (UG1144).  So, right now, my packaging command looks like this:

petalinux-package --boot --fsbl zynqmp_fsbl.elf --pmufw pmufw.elf --atf bl31.elf --u-boot u-boot.elf --kernel image.ub

At this point, I'm wondering if it's possible to somehow boot the linux kernel without using U-Boot.  I was hoping there was a way to maybe configure the FSBL to boot directly into the kernel and bypass U-Boot entirely, so I don't have to package it up in the BOOT.BIN file.

After digging around these forums and the internet a little, it looks like my best bet may be trying to create my own .bif file, but the only examples I've found from Xilinx so far are ones where the FSBL is just loading the kernel into memory and still depending on U-Boot to actually boot them.

Mostly I'm wondering if this is even possible, but I'd appreciate it if anyone has actually had success and can share what they found.

Thanks,

-nj

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Visitor njohnston
Visitor

Re: Boot Petalinux Without U-Boot on ZCU102

For those that may still be interested,

On a somewhat related note, I was able to boot a vxWorks kernel from FSBL and I posted that solution here:

Booting vxWorks from FSBL

I tried using a similar method for my petalinux image, but still no success as of yet...

0 Kudos