UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer ykota
Observer

Boot petalinux from SD card with ext3/4 file system

I am working with zynq 7000. Is it possible to boot petalinux from SD card which is of file systems like ext3/ext4?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar watari
Scholar

Re: Boot petalinux from SD card with ext3/4 file system

Hi @ykota

Yes.

You need to describe partition name of root fs, like "root=/dev/mmblk0p1" in dtb file and so on.

Thank you.

Best regards,

0 Kudos

Hi @ykota

There is a specific subchapter in the UG1144 explaining how to configure SD card for root file system. Please follow the instructions there and post if you still have doubts.

Regards

Ibai

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos
Observer ykota
Observer

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I was not clear enough. let me rephrase,

Can I have the entire SD card as a **single** filseystem (ext3/4) and have the kernel as the usual tempfs, and have BOOT.bin and Image.ub files in SD card and boot the linux from it?

0 Kudos
Scholar rfs613
Scholar

No, not really. The BOOT.BIN must reside on a FAT32 partition, because the BootROM code in the Zynq only knows about this kind of filesystem.

Once BOOT.BIN has been loaded, it is possible for the rest (kernel, devicetree, etc) to be on other filesystems -- as long as u-boot has support for reading them.

It is possible, in theory, to have a single FAT32 partition, with everything on it. The rootfs itself cannot be in FAT, because FAT does not support all the special file types (/dev entries, pipes, etc) and permissions that Linux expects. You can however do some creative things with files that contain ext2/3/4 fileystems, mounted via loopback. Some early Linux rescue disks (floppy!) used this method. It would not be my first choice though...

Do you have a particular reason for wanting a **single** partition setup?
0 Kudos
Scholar watari
Scholar

Typically, /boot directory should be readable file system and partition by like first boot loader even if there is PC and embedded system.

In this case, already @rfs613mentioned before,first boot loader of Zynq can only read BOOT.bin on FAT32 file system of SD card.

After that, second boot loader, like u-boot, can read any file system, if it support.

[Directory image]

/ <= root file system. you can choose ext3/ext4 file system.

/boot <= boot partition. you should choose FAT32 file system, if you use SD card.

Thank you.

Best regards,

0 Kudos