UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Booting Linux from NAND flash

Jump to solution

Apologies in advance for the newbie question: 

Problem: Currently not getting any serial output at all when trying to boot Linux from NAND Flash (S34ML02G1) on zc702.

Using: 

- Vivado 2018.2 (as well as SDK)

- PetaLinux

- zc702 (custom board)

- Ubuntu 16.04.3 for PetaLinux tools

-  'SDK Terminal' in Vivado SDK to connect to serial port (COM4 in my case, 115200 rate) from board

Explanation:  Using the PetaLinux tools, I am building my necessary kernel images and boot files.  However, after programming the flash, and then trying to boot from said flash, I am not seeing any output to my SDK terminal.  I have followed the following user guides as carefully as I can: UG1144, UG1165, UG980.  Additionally, I have already read through some nand flash questions (1, 2, 3, 4 ) on the forums to no avail.  I have tried partitioning my flash in many different ways, and currently have left the partitions at their default sizes, as I don't believe I am doing such correctly.  I'm most curious about the fact that nothing at all is being printed out to the terminal, when I know my serial connection and nand flash are okay and have been tested in previous applications.  This has made it very hard to debug and understand what is wrong.  Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you for your replies

Nate  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Booting Linux from NAND flash

Jump to solution
UPDATE 08-23-2018:

Wrong UART was selected in serial settings during petalinux-config. Urgh.
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution
UPDATE 08-22-18:

I have also packaged my configuration in a prebuilt package to try to load onto board via JTAG. Still no console output. However, when booting in QEMU environment with prebuild 2 (bitstream, fsbl, and u-boot) and prebuilt 3 (bitstream, fsbl, u-boot, kernel and dtb) both are successful and I am able to login to linux. So what might be the problem when I try to download to hardware?

Thanks
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
UPDATE 08-23-2018:

Wrong UART was selected in serial settings during petalinux-config. Urgh.
0 Kudos