UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Build busybox for Microblaze

Jump to solution

I've seen busybox for Microblaze but for some reason, building it myself results in a lot of problems.

To me it looks like the microblaze target is missing from the busybox build chain. This seems to be true for both the vanilla version and the one from the Xilinx repository.

For example I see this error:

In file included from include/libbb.h:13,
                 from include/busybox.h:10,
                 from applets/applets.c:9:
include/platform.h:165:23: error: byteswap.h: No such file or directory
include/platform.h:166:21: error: endian.h: No such file or directory
include/platform.h:179:3: error: #error "Can't determine endianness"

When I add the __MICROBLAZE__ target to platform.h, I get a bit further but only to run into the next error.

So how do people build busybox for Microblaze, is there some guide I can follow somewhere?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Build busybox for Microblaze

Jump to solution

To answer my own question: you can't.

Busybox requires GLIBC or uClibc which can not be compiled for Microblaze with MMU support.

There is a GLIBC toolchain at http://xilinx.wikidot.com/mb-gnu-tools - but with whatever patches that was created is unknown (it seems). But with that GCC (microblaze-unknown-linux-gnu) you can build Busybox, without any modifications.

Note: uClibc does support Microblaze but only without an MMU which will build FLAT binaries.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

To answer my own question: you can't.

Busybox requires GLIBC or uClibc which can not be compiled for Microblaze with MMU support.

There is a GLIBC toolchain at http://xilinx.wikidot.com/mb-gnu-tools - but with whatever patches that was created is unknown (it seems). But with that GCC (microblaze-unknown-linux-gnu) you can build Busybox, without any modifications.

Note: uClibc does support Microblaze but only without an MMU which will build FLAT binaries.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Sure it can be built. Keep trying, it's doable..  I've done it, and The Petalinux tools do it - and at some point Mr. Linn did it to build the default root filesystem that is avaialble on the wiki.

Terry

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

We only build busybox with our glibc based tool chain.  We don't do any no MMU support Linux for Microblaze.

Thanks.

0 Kudos