cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
balister
Adventurer
Adventurer

Building FSBL without Plan Ahead

I'd like to build the first stage boot laoder without using plan ahead. The only FSBL instruction I can find at the moment involve screen shots of gui tools.

Surely, there is a way to do this without using a gui! I really do not want to install Xilinx tools on my laptop for the sole purpose of building the FSBL. There must be a way to simplify this process.

Philip

0 Kudos
3 Replies
norman_wong
Scholar
Scholar

I haven't used Plan Ahead. I have used the SDK that auto-generates the FSBL. I think the SDK runs a TCL script that copies and possibly tweaks the source at:

C:\Xilinx\14.1\ISE_DS\EDK\sw\lib\sw_apps\fsbl

Maybe you can compile the source outside of the GUI tools. Or get your FPGA designer to auto-gen the FSBL and take out the configured source and project.

The FSBL is strongly tied to the EDK via the ps2_init files (and associated hardware platformproject). I get the feeling Xilinx wants everybody to go through the tools.

0 Kudos
gcwang
Observer
Observer

I haven't used Plan Ahead. I have used the SDK that auto-generates the FSBL.

How to use the SDK that auto-generates the FSBL? 

http://wiki.xilinx.com/zynq-base-trd-14-1

Building the First Stage Boot Loader (FSBL)

The sources of FSBL(zynq_base_trd_14_1\sw\zynq_fsbl) need to be modified if the platform be changed? In other word,the FSBL  sources (zynq_base_trd_14_1\sw\zynq_fsbl) just for zc702 board can be use for zed board?

0 Kudos
norman_wong
Scholar
Scholar

The instructions at "http://wiki.xilinx.com/zynq-base-trd-14-1" are new to me. On the surface, they look good to me. The TRD version appears to have pre-configured copies of the "Hardware Platform" and "FSBL" projects. The projects get imported in.

I don't have the TRD version. Just the plain version. If there are pre-configured projects, I can't find them. I have to auto-generate, one by one,  the "HW Platform", BSP and FSBL.

Most of the FSBL source should be generic enough to work on any board. The only board specific bits should be in the ps7init files. These come from the "HW Platform " project. On the ZED board, the manufacturer (AvNet?) should provide the ps7init files, a "HW Platform" project or one of those EDK FPGA project things. Not a FPGA designer. Don't know what they do in the EDK other that they toss me a SDK Export that gets imported into the "HW Platform" project.

0 Kudos