Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Cannot install Guest Additions CD image in VirtualBox

Hi @anatoli,

I have now another issue wrt having to install Guest Additions on Windows Guests. This is to be able to access directories/files from eg the C: drive to the virtual machine

I decided to create another ticket for that.

I setup shared folders in the VirtualBox to try to share files from certain directories

I could then see that I need to also install Guest Additions to achieve this.

I have windows running inside VirtualBox, then wrt following instructions:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-guest-additions-in-virtualbox

I cannot install Guest Additions CD image in VirtualBox !

I chosen the Devices menu. Then I chosen "Insert Guest Additions CD image" wrt above instructions.

I then opened 'This PC' on win10 but I could not see the "Guest Additions CD" in the menu on the left. I then clicked on 'This PC' and I could still not see it or anything else popping up on the screen.

Any assistance on this matter too will be appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @anatoli ,

I clicked on the 'Analyzer' icon to open and run the ISE_14.7_VIRTUAL_MACHINE VirtualBox

I then clicked on the 'Computer' icon 

I then selected 'Devices' followed by 'Insert Guest Additions CD image..' option

Seen then the following VBox_GAs_5.2.34 message :

"You have just inserted a medium with software intended to be automatically started. Choose what application to launch

Select how to open "VBox_GAs_5.2.34"

Do Nothing

Open Folder

Open Autorun Prompt

Open with other Application...

I then selected "Open Folder"    <- Is this correct or should I have selected 'Open Autorun Prompt' ?

Then I double clicked on the  /media/VBox_GAs_5.2.34/VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe 

But I got the following Error while loading the archive :

/media/VBox_GAs_5.2.34/VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
note: /media/VBox_GAs_5.2.34/VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe may be a plain executable, not an archive
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/VBox_GAs_5.2.34/VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe or
/media/VBox_GAs_5.2.34/VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe.zip, and cannot find /media/VBox_GAs_5.2.34/VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe.ZIP, period.

---

I repeated above but selected 'Open Autorun Prompt'

I had the message "This medium contains software Intended to be automatically started. Would you like to run it?

I pressed 'Run' and then it wanted Authentication to run '/bin/sh' as super user and asked me to enter 'Password for root'

What password is this & how do I get it ?

Is this also the right way to install Virtual Guest Additions ?

Regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

This  Authentication to run by asking a password it indicates to me that the system thinks that the directory is not owned by the logged in user (ie me).

I tried running the following :

sudo chown $USER - R /media/VBox_GAs_5.2.34 

but it did not give me ownership to that directory. OK. That directory is not owned by me 

Then I looked at the System / Preferences / About Me within the ISE_14.7_VIRTUAL_MACHINE VirtualBox ise user info.

The Username is :   ise   . When I selected 'Change Password....' option, it asked me for the (current) UNIX password

The only recent one I had was my Ubuntu one. Tried that but that was not accepted. This is a different account with

default username -> ise. What is the default password here ? or how do I reset it without asking me for my current password?

Under System / Administration / Authentication when I tried got the message Authenticating as "root" and asked me again for a password !

Also, when I downloaded/installed the Oracle VM VirtualBox it did not asked me to enter any password details.

I could be doing something wrong here but I am stuck and can not resolve the main issue raised in this ticket.

Any assistance on this matter by anyone will be appreciated 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

That's a VirtualBox issue, you should ask Oracle, not the Xilinx community.

Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

But surely someone from Xilinx must have seen same issue raised before and Is aware on how to resolve it !

I will communicate with Oracle (if I can) if that is the way forward and resolve the issue I have ..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

For some reason it did not allow me to edit my last statement. Here are my latest edits :

But surely someone from Xilinx must have seen same issue raised before and Is aware on how to resolve it !

What about the options I followed above ie

is this the right way to install Guest Additions CD image in VirtualBox ?

---

I will communicate with Oracle (if I can) wrt Authentication issue and hopefully they could resolve this issue ..

But after resolving the Authentication issue, will the flow work fine and allow me to install Guest Additions CD image in VirtualBox ?

Is this another question to Oracle ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I don't think you are going to get personalized support, especially for a free software.

Millions of people install virtualBox and install the guest additions CD without problem.

You may find the trick in some forum about VirtualBox. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I resolved myself the Authentication issue by using ‘su root’ to create a root password. No need to contact Oracle.

I need now to get the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run to execute properly and able to get the file sharing to work ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Before installing the Linux guest Additions (& NOT Windows guest Additions as I originally thought) and running the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run need to prepare the guest system for building external kernel modules.

There was a quite big section on 2.3.2 “The Oracle VM VirtualBox Kernel Modules”. This is the difficult part to set it right for the VBox_GAs_5.2.34 ISE_14.7 VM.

What is the quickest & best way forward doing this without having the system trying to install the latest drivers and end up with compatibility issues ?

0 Kudos