UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Compiler optimization for custom application

My Question:  Is there a way to turn on any compiler optimizations when building a custom PetaLinux application?

Background:  We are running PetaLinux 2018.2 on a ZCU102 board, and are trying to benchmark performance of a core performing some simple mathematical operations (see code snippet below, which gets run a few thousand times with a check of the RTC before and after).  I've created four custom applications (following template examples in UG1144) to test some different configurations:

1. Custom c++ project (compiled in Linux), using floating-point math
  2. Custom c++ project (compiled in Linux), using integer math
  3. Pre-built SDK project, using floating-point math
  4. Pre-built SDK project, using integer math

Results of note are:

• We see about a 30% increase in efficiency performing integer math operations over floating-point math.
  • There's no increase in floating-point efficiency from Linux-compiled to SDK-compiled applications.
  • There's a very small increase in integer math efficiency from Linux-compiled to SDK-compiled applications.
  • Adding a -O2 switch to the makefile for the custom c++ projects seems to make no difference at all in our benchmark test.

For the SDK projects, the Build Configuration is set to Release, and the C/C++ Build Settings | compiler Optimization is set to -O3 (Optimize most).

So, to summarize, are we already at the maximum optimization for both Linux and SDK compilation?  Or is there something else I can try in one toolset, or both?

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/// @brief Regular version of FIR filter.
/// @param data - data samples history; size: size
/// @param filter - filter coefficients; size: size
/// @param size - number of elements in data and filter
/// @return the sum of the product of each element
template <typename T>
T Fir(const T* RESTRICT data, const T* RESTRICT filter, const UInt32 size)
{
    T ret = T(0);
    for (UInt32 i = 0; i < size; ++i) ret += data[i] * filter[i];
    return ret;
} // end Fir

0 Kudos