Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Creating JFFS2 file system

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have successfully gotten petalinux to boot on the VC707 after programming one of the flash memory banks on the board. My next step is to partition a portion of the flash memory to be persistent after a power reset. I have gone through the petalinux-config and changed the rootfs to "JFFS2" instead of "INITRAMFS" but this causes problems when booting on the FPGA. I have inserted a screenshot of what I assume is a flash memory check conducted during boot. Now

I can no longer boot into petalinux. My question is, can I not partition the same bank of flash memory as petalinux is booted from for persistent file storage? Is there a way to configure the FS on the VC707 so you can access another bank of the flash?

JFFS2boot.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

If you want to use a jffs2 rootfs, you'll have to write a jffs2 root filesystem to flash first. You can do this from within u-boot or from a kernel that you booted from something else.

If you just need some space to store data, don't say it's your rootfs to linux, just mount it after booting (mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtd9 /run/media/flash) . You may need to erase the flash partition once, jffs2 will happily mount an empty flash, but will not do so when that flash appears to contain some data.

Note that if the flash is larger than say 4 megabytes, you'd better use UBI instead.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

If you want to use a jffs2 rootfs, you'll have to write a jffs2 root filesystem to flash first. You can do this from within u-boot or from a kernel that you booted from something else.

If you just need some space to store data, don't say it's your rootfs to linux, just mount it after booting (mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtd9 /run/media/flash) . You may need to erase the flash partition once, jffs2 will happily mount an empty flash, but will not do so when that flash appears to contain some data.

Note that if the flash is larger than say 4 megabytes, you'd better use UBI instead.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,ngrubaugh

I have experienced the some problem. I am confused. have you solved this issue, if did, can you give your solution?

Thanks in advance

Tom

0 Kudos