cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Critial need for a 100% reliable reference

I'm presently being driven to madness by my tools and an inability to put together a working boot. Even though I'm using the reference .mhs file, the def config, and even the virtex405-ml405.dts device tree. It's so bad that if I compile with the virtex405-ml405.dts, get a result, try my own .dts, and then go back to the original I get a different result. Usually the result is nothing, or I'll see text rolling along, hang and then see nothing after I try to comeback to a common starting point. Really frustrating!

So... If there were a set of complete reference designs compiled on the latest EDK11.4 for the ML405 and ML507 that were complete, compiled and archived along with everthing unique on the Linux side that could possibly change like the .config, .dts, and the ramdisk, then in theory I could simply load the system.bit and .elf directly from the archive and then work my way out of my connundrum from a known good starting point. 

It would be so, so helpful. As has already been stated in the forum there is a nightly build which does this, so in theory it shouldn't be that much of an effort to "git" it.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

So which board do you have, an ML405 or ML507?

I can create this archive your referring to, but don't have it automatically as my automated test uses NFS root.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

The ML405 would be wonderful.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to consider a commercial distribution like what is offered by Timesys:

https://linuxlink.timesys.com/3/Linux/Xilinx

They wrap everything up very nicely for your and provide you the ability to easily build, modify, and deliver working systems consistently - oh and they'll support you too.  Pretty good bang for the buck. 

They 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I can't get this page to let me attach a file, you can send me a private message thru the forum or post your email address here.

As others said, if you want full support you may need to buy a disribution as this is an open source reference design, not a fully supported product.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

The simple summary is that I am able to build a basic system on a 32 bit host, but find nothing but frustration on my 64 bit host. If I transfer the .config and associated build files that worked on the 32 bit host to my 64 bit machine, I do not get a working load. Both systems have there origin from linux-2.6-xlnx.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be the problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I'm not sure what to tell you there.  I do build on 64 bit machines without problems.  It sounds like a tool issue. As you can see, rolling your own with open source is not always the quickest and easiest routes and that's why many people do buy a distribution from a vendor.

I would probably do an objdump on the vmlinux images from both 32 and 64 bit builds and then do a diff of them.  I've not tried that but it's a starting point. 

I guess it could be a Xilinx tool issue, is the bitstream and kernel image really getting loaded with the 64 bit machine (assuming your using a Xilinx cable from it).  For that, I would build a small standalone hello world and verify it works ok on the board from the 64 bit machine. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos