UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor harish89
Visitor

Data transfer using ethernet

All,

I have some questions regarding data transfer from the ZedBoard to the PC via ethernet cable. Can I transfer data from the ZedBoard to the PC via ethernet cable, if yes HOW? (please post linux commands for the same). Do I need to write sockets for the transfer? Or will simple Linux commands do this?

Secondly, I need to measure ethernet parameters like thorughput, roundtrip time, payload, etc. Is there any tool that will help me to do this?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Data transfer using ethernet

It basically depends on how you want to transfer the data: you can use raw ethernet, IP, or full TCP/IP stack to do this. In any case simple Linux commands propably won't be enough to read the data and you'll probably have to write some software for it.

0 Kudos
Visitor harish89
Visitor

I am able to transfer some text files from the PC to Zedboard using scp commands. What do I do to transfer back from Zedboard to PC? Also, how can I measure parameters?

0 Kudos
Scholar milosoftware
Scholar

Just use scp but switch the arguments:

scp root@zynq:/path/to/file /tmp/

0 Kudos
Scholar milosoftware
Scholar

If you want to measure ethernet performance, use "netbench" or one of the many other network performance benchmarking tools.

Transferring files via scp will tell you a lot about the CPU speed, but virtually nothing about its ethernet, because the encryption is using most of the resources.

0 Kudos
Visitor harish89
Visitor

I transferred files back and forth using Ethernet. But the maximum file size I am able to tranfer is 2.4MB

Cant I transfer bigger files?

0 Kudos
Scholar milosoftware
Scholar

There is no limit to the filesize. I've used SSH to transfer audio and/or video streams for hours. Also on the zynq, I've seen no issues.

0 Kudos
Visitor harish89
Visitor

I used FTP to transfer files to the Zynq. Any file size greater than 2.4MB is getting automatically trimmed and the entire file is not getting copied. Any idea why this is so?

0 Kudos
Scholar milosoftware
Scholar

Probably your FTP program (server, client, or maybe even both) is broken and in need of replacement.

Or maybe you are copying the file to a location that has only 2.4MB free space.

0 Kudos
Visitor tommysand
Visitor

Hey! 
To quick for me!

I have the same problem.

I need to transfer data from the board to the PC using Ethernet. I want to read a set of data from the DDR3 memory whose memory location will be specified by me(at the program itself). I already tried lwIP and it works fine. But now I need to receive data alone from a specific memory location in the PS part.

Please help me.

I'm new to the field so please bear with me! :(

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi.. I have my tftp on my linux machine.. how can I transfer my .cpp files to my zedboard and I have chosen ssh dropbear and there is already busybox FTPD with inetd service.

I am trying to do tftp 192.168.1.11 from my tftpboot directory and then

tftp> put helloworld.cpp

but ending with the result

Transfer timed out.

I found that there is no tftp server running on my zedboard but I have dropbear for ftp and ssh enabled .

How can I transfer the files to my zedboard?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,harish89

can you please tell me how you transfer the text file from pc to board ...which commands you used for that ..

it will be really helpful for me...

Thanks

regards

rathore7777

0 Kudos