UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Dealing with multiple UIO devices

Jump to solution

I have a couple of AXI BRAM controllers I want to access with UIO in petalinux, and I just got them to show up in /sys/class/uio using the compatible="generic-uio" keyword. One thing that I find a little nerve wracking is one shows up as uio0 and the other shows up as uio1 and I have to delve into their directories to know which one is which.

Am I always gaurneteed that the two memory controllers will show up in the order I first discovered them in? What if I add more IP cores using UIO? Does it still hold true?

Is there a way to change these 'directory' names so I can have a better way to differentiate the devices like using bram0, and bram1?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dealing with multiple UIO devices

Jump to solution

I found the libuio project on github that Linutronix created to help users interface with UIO devices. The library had a search by name function and I ended up adding a search by base address function based on it.

Now I'm able to write drivers for my ip cores that are very similar to what I would write for an AXI core for standalone and xilkernel based projects. It sure makes life a little easier, now if there was only an Eclipse plugin for Petalinux 2014.2 and later.

https://github.com/asm2750/libuio

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

You have to realize you are using a generic driver such that figuring out which one is which by the directory seems reasonable to me. There may be a way but I don't know of it. The alternative is to write your own custom driver which you could base on the UIO driver.  I believe the UIO number will be based on the order it's discovered in the device tree (90% sure) such that if you don't change the order they should be the same.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I'll try making a custom module using uio as a foundation then, or trying to parse the name file in each uio device directory. It's a shame the creator for uio didnt include a method of overtly naming the devices but each programmer has their own way of implmenting a solution. Has anyone made an example with two or more uio devices?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Looks like the author assumes users will use the name file from /sys/class/uio/uioX/name to determine if the user is pointing to the right driver. As described in section 6 of the pdf linked below.

https://www.osadl.org/fileadmin/dam/rtlws/12/Koch.pdf

I can manage with this but I would prefer the name to be a little simpler. Petalinux likes to name IP cores in the device tree as: "core_name : axi-bram-cntrl@40000000". uio likes to list it as axi-bram-cntrl@40000000 due to the device being located at /sys/bus/platform/amba.0/axi-bram-cntrl@40000000. Is there a way I can override that name in the device tree in system-top.dts and make it use the core_name?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I found the libuio project on github that Linutronix created to help users interface with UIO devices. The library had a search by name function and I ended up adding a search by base address function based on it.

Now I'm able to write drivers for my ip cores that are very similar to what I would write for an AXI core for standalone and xilkernel based projects. It sure makes life a little easier, now if there was only an Eclipse plugin for Petalinux 2014.2 and later.

https://github.com/asm2750/libuio

0 Kudos