UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer sponduri
Observer

Default Folder where petalinux looks for firmware files.

Hi,

I am using a custom embedded board with an ultra scale SoC (xczu3cg-sfvc784-1-i) I am using petalinux 2017.4 to build my embedded software.

My aim is to integrate on of the Intel PCIe WiFi chipset to my embedded board. The Chipset is being recongnized and enumerated successfully in petalinux. lspci shows my device. The driver for it uses an external firmware file  iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode.

Currently petalinux does not seem to know where to look for this file while the system is booting. Please let me know how do I configure this into the petalinux.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Visitor shanep1
Visitor

Re: Default Folder where petalinux looks for firmware files.

@sponduri wrote:

Hi,

I am using a custom embedded board with an ultra scale SoC (xczu3cg-sfvc784-1-i) I am using petalinux 2017.4 to build my embedded software.

My aim is to integrate on of the Intel PCIe WiFi chipset to my embedded board. The Chipset is being recongnized and enumerated successfully in petalinux. lspci shows my device. The driver for it uses an external firmware file  iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode.

Currently petalinux does not seem to know where to look for this file while the system is booting. Please let me know how do I configure this into the petalinux.

Thanks.

I also need help with this, if someone could help us that would be great,

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Shane,

0 Kudos

Hi @sponduri@shanep1,

Already most of the firmware(Atheros, BCM, TI etc) are available in OE core http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_git.bb?h=rocko you need to just install those packages.

$ vim <plnx-proj-spec>/project-spec/meta-user/petalinuxbsp.conf

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = "linux-firmware-iwlwifi-8265"

Refer http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_git.bb?h=rocko#n255

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
0 Kudos
Observer sponduri
Observer

Hi,

The firmware config file entry I made in project_specs/meta_user is fetching an old firmware file iwlwifi-8265-19.ucode while the minimum version of firmware required is 20-26 and 19 is old.

I modified the file

components/yocto/source/aarch64/layers/core/meta/receips-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware-git.bb the build seem to download and copy the required firmware files into

<project-root>/build/tmp/work/all-xilinx-linux/linux-firmware/1_0.0+gitAUTOINC+42ad5367dd-r0

But, I cannot find any folder called firmware in /lib of root file system. The kernel always returns error -2

[    4.700111] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-25.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.700158] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.700203] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.700249] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.700293] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-21.ucode failed with error -2
[    4.700337] iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-20.ucode failed with error -2

Is there a concrete documentation on adding firmware to petalinux.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi @sponduri,

These are specific to yocto recipes implementation.Usually all the firmware needs to be installed in ${base_libdir}/firmware/<vendor_name> which is nothing but /lib/firmware/<vendor_name>.

Since you are using wifi you need a wifi supplicant configuration files also.

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
0 Kudos