UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor kellyjp
Visitor

Device Tree Generator: Regression in 2018.1 for Clocking Wizard IP

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have been using the Xilinx Device Tree Generator (DTG) to automatically generate the Linux device tree for my Zynq-7000 project using the relevant recipes in yocto meta-xilinx-tools.  I use the clocking wizard IP with AXI-Lite interface to allow dynamic reconfiguration from a linux device driver that uses the device tree to learn about how the clocking wizard IP is customised.

Prior to 2018.1 (2017.4 and earlier) the generated device tree for clocking wizard IP would be based on the actual customisation of the clocking wizard IP.  For example, if 4 clock outputs were enabled, the clock-output-names in the generated device tree would list 4 names and the names would be the same as those set when the IP was customised.  This behaviour made sense as the generated device tree matched the actual hardware and Linux device drivers could rely on the information in the device tree.

However, in 2018.1 the generated device tree for the clocking wizard IP now always generates 8 fixed clock-output-names.  The fixed generated names do not match the default customisation of the IP, the actual customisation of the IP, nor that of the MMCME2 or PLLE2 (which don't even have 8 clock outputs) primitives.

This regression seems to have been introduced in commit c9c6a7df548eaad6142f7ee9a1312d28872e2b7e.

Could this be fixed?

James

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Device Tree Generator: Regression in 2018.1 for Clocking Wizard IP

Jump to solution

Hi James,

Yes, I see this too. I created a simple zynq-7000 project with the clking wiz in the PL with the AXI interface enabled.

I created my DT using the HSI commands similar to below:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/ZCU102+Image+creation+in+OSL+flow

amba_pl: amba_pl {
#address-cells = <1>;
#size-cells = <1>;
compatible = "simple-bus";
ranges ;
clk_wiz_0: clk_wiz@43c00000 {
#clock-cells = <1>;
clock-names = "clk_in1", "s_axi_aclk";
clock-output-names = "clk_out0", "clk_out1", "clk_out2", "clk_out3", "clk_out4", "clk_out5", "clk_out6", "clk_out7";
clocks = <&clkc 15>, <&clkc 15>;
compatible = "xlnx,clocking-wizard";
reg = <0x43c00000 0x10000>;
speed-grade = <(-1)>;
};
};

You can see the changes in the driver here:

driver.PNG

I noticed you said that you are using a linux driver that will use the data in the clk_wiz node to determine the clocks used. So, I created a patch that will create a parameter with this information. I didnt want to overwrite the clock-output-names, as im assuming these are used elsewhere and may cause an issue. So, you would need to update your own driver to use he clock-output-names-old param instead.

the code in the patch is seen here:

patch.PNG

Note: this is just a copy and paste of the 2017.4 branch of the axi clk wiz driver from the DTG.

This will result in the updated DT here:

dt.PNG

Are you using Petalinux? If so, you can add the patch to the files folder in the recipe-bsp, and update the bbappend file to add this patch

3 Replies
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

I don't know the answer and I hope this answer doesn't delay an answer, but I have to say, wonderful post.  Very well researched and written.

Adaptable Processing coming to an IP address near you.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi James,

Yes, I see this too. I created a simple zynq-7000 project with the clking wiz in the PL with the AXI interface enabled.

I created my DT using the HSI commands similar to below:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/ZCU102+Image+creation+in+OSL+flow

amba_pl: amba_pl {
#address-cells = <1>;
#size-cells = <1>;
compatible = "simple-bus";
ranges ;
clk_wiz_0: clk_wiz@43c00000 {
#clock-cells = <1>;
clock-names = "clk_in1", "s_axi_aclk";
clock-output-names = "clk_out0", "clk_out1", "clk_out2", "clk_out3", "clk_out4", "clk_out5", "clk_out6", "clk_out7";
clocks = <&clkc 15>, <&clkc 15>;
compatible = "xlnx,clocking-wizard";
reg = <0x43c00000 0x10000>;
speed-grade = <(-1)>;
};
};

You can see the changes in the driver here:

driver.PNG

I noticed you said that you are using a linux driver that will use the data in the clk_wiz node to determine the clocks used. So, I created a patch that will create a parameter with this information. I didnt want to overwrite the clock-output-names, as im assuming these are used elsewhere and may cause an issue. So, you would need to update your own driver to use he clock-output-names-old param instead.

the code in the patch is seen here:

patch.PNG

Note: this is just a copy and paste of the 2017.4 branch of the axi clk wiz driver from the DTG.

This will result in the updated DT here:

dt.PNG

Are you using Petalinux? If so, you can add the patch to the files folder in the recipe-bsp, and update the bbappend file to add this patch

Visitor kellyjp
Visitor

Jump to solution

Stephen,

Thank you for the patch.  I don't use Petalinux - I use the Xilinx/yocto-manifests from Github.  However, I already have my own Yocto layer where I modify the device-tree recipe to add a board specific device tree fragment to the device_tree/data/kernel_dtsi/2018.1/BOARD directory of the device-tree-xlnx tree so it should be easy to modify that bbappend to add your patch to the tree as well.

Thanks again !

James

0 Kudos