Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marleco
Visitor
Visitor

Device Tree Issue

Hello everyone,

We ported Linux on our own platform. Our Linux distribution is based on OSL kernel version 2.6.26 compiled in arch/powerpc branch. The problem we have is that some peripherals are not mapped into the Linux Kernel because there not discribed into the correcponding .dts file. All those peripherals are interfaced through a xps_epc Xilinx IP. It seems that Device Tree Generator (http://git.xilinx.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=device-tree.git;a=summary) does not generate any code lines in the .dts file for peripherals interfaced by the xps_epc Xilinx IP.

Did you already meet this issue? How can I fill in the .dts file by myself?

Best Regards

Olivier

0 Kudos
5 Replies
morphiend
Explorer
Explorer

Well 'mapping' the devices into the kernel is only going to be useful if you have a kernel driver that will support them. Did you write the driver yourself for these devices? or is there kernel support for them already? If there's kernel support for the devices, then you need to know what information the driver is going to need to properly set itself up.

What are the devices you're trying to connect to?

0 Kudos
marleco
Visitor
Visitor

Yes we are currently writing de device drivers which will interfaced those peripherals. But anyway, it is not important to describ those peripherals in the .dts file since they are custom peripherals and the kernel won't be able to map them. We map ours custom peripherals directly in the init function of the driver by the kernel function ioremap.

Thanks

Olivier

0 Kudos
arjanmail

Hi,

I also ran into shortcoming of  the dts generator script. I use it on the ML510 board in a dual processor configuration. Linux is on one of those.

the tcl script did not generate dts output for my mailbox peripheral and it did produced output for the DDR2-DIMM dedicated to the other processor. 

It seems that the device-tree generator does not support dual processor configurations? I hacked the tcl script and the dts output to compile everything without errors, but it doesn't give me confidence... 

are these sort of things taken care of? or should i report it?

greetings,

arjan

0 Kudos
linnj
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Dual processors with the device tree is out a ways out in our roadmap.  We will be going there, but not for the short term as we have a lot of other stuff (Linux on Microblaze) that are our short term plans (this year).

We don't have any plans to support the ML510 board since PCIe is really the future direction.

Thanks for the feedback.

-- John

0 Kudos
pierre_usb
Visitor
Visitor

Hello,

I try to use the linux driver for Cypress CY7C67300 USB Host controller. I work with the Xilinx ML403 board and I download the Linux 2.6.37 Kernel from Xilinx web site.

The cypress CY7C67300 is not recognized when I run the kernel in my board.

I think I have a problem with the .dts file provided by Xilinx Project Studio.

Do you know how to configure the .dts file?

I put (like said in other Xilinx Forum):

Cypress_USB: usb@80800000 {

compatible = "cypress,c67x00";

interrupt-parent = <&xps_intc_0>;

interrupts = < 0 2 >;

reg = < 0x80800000 0x10000 >;

xlnx,family = "virtex4";

} ;

But it doesn’t work….

The Cypress CY7C67300 is connected to the PLB bus with the Xilinx XPS EPC ip. But the .dts file doesn't recognize the XPS_EPC. Do you know where I can find the interrupt port number linking the Cypress and the XPS_INTC ip ?

How to configure the “Device Tree” (.dts file) for the Cypress?

Thank you very much for your help

Regards

Pierre

0 Kudos