Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

ELDK and downloadable Ramdisk

Hi,

When I compile an application with the ELDK it links against the stdlibc while on the ramdisk that is provided there is only a uclibc. What compilers am I supposed to use to compile an Application for the provided ramdisk?

Yes, static linking works, but I would really prefer to use the existing ramdisk as it is really small..

Karsten

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Karsten,

You can use the ELDK to build the application. The ramdisk might not have all the libs on it but this is pretty normal linux in that you might need to copy the libs from the toolset to the ramdisk image.

I'm not trying to be mean, but this is all typical Linux that's in a number of embedded linux books.  If you don't have any of those books I would recommend getting them.

You can use LDD or readelf to determine which libs the application depends on and then copy from from the toolset to the ramdisk.  You need the dynamic loader lib also so don't forget it.

Keep going, your making progress.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Well, I know that I can just copy the required libraries over, but if I state that static linking is getting quite big, then copying them over does not any good. The default image ram size is 4MB and there basically are all shared libraries there that I need. I am just wondering if there is a toolchain lying around somewhere that I missed to see so that I can put those shared libs to use. The size difference between the ELDK shared libs and the ramdisk ones is remarkable. Especially for the math lib.

I also know that I can recreate my own ramdisk etc. but if there is a toolchain available, as it appears to be the case for the MicroBlaze, then there could be one for PPC too..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I haven't done much shared libs on that ramdisk, but it's from the ELDK. 

No we don't do any powerpc tools from Xilinx that are built with glibc.  The EDK tools are built with newlib such that they can't be used for Linux applications.

If you are trying to build bigger applications you may need to increase the size of the ram disk. An 8 meg disk should hold the libs and some apps is my experience on other processors.

Yes you may need to build your own ramdisk at this point, ours was only to serve as a baseline to get you going.

Sorry.

0 Kudos