Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Failed to boot Ubuntu Desktop on ZCU102 Rev1.1

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have followed the steps mentioned here:

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841937/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+2+-+Building+and+Running+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+From+Sources

trying to use the pre-built image of Ubuntu Desktop on my EK-U1-ZCU102-G, Rev = 1.1

Unfortunately, I am unable to boot.

The init LED stays always RED .

The Display Port doesn't work .

This is what I get through /dev/ttyUSB0:

Xilinx Zynq MP First Stage Boot Loader 
Release 2018.1   Jun  8 2018  -  01:09:34
NOTICE:  ATF running on XCZU9EG/silicon v4/RTL5.1 at 0xfffea000
NOTICE:  BL31: Secure code at 0x0
NOTICE:  BL31: Non secure code at 0x10080000
NOTICE:  BL31: v1.4(release):xilinx-v2017.4-1351-gdf4a7e97
NOTICE:  BL31: Built : 06:51:24, Jun  7 2018

and it stucks there and never boots.

HOWEVER :

I have a project on SDSoC (SDx 2018.3). This project builds correctly and generates files that can be put on a correctly formatted  SD-CARD.

When I boot from it, the init LED turns green just after power on and the Display Port works! I can use keyboard/mouse to run my project !

But the image produced by SDx is very primitive Linux that has no "Desktop environment", so to speak.

If I try "gcc" for example or even "locate" it says command not found. I need Ubuntu Desktop to add flexibility to my Application.

P.S. : same jumper configuration is used in both cases.

I tried using BOOT.BIN from SDx along with image.ub from pre-built image, but got error message during the boot: 

[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules

Any suggestion please ? Looks like the prebuilt image was made for Rev1.0 of this board although it is mentioned in some Xilinx AR that changes from Rev1.0 to Rev1.1 are only mechanical changes.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Failed to boot Ubuntu Desktop on ZCU102 Rev1.1

Jump to solution

Hi guys !

The problem was solved with the last release shown here:

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841937/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+2+-+Building+and+Running+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+From+Sources

On March 29 2019, they updated the Ubuntu Desktop with 2018.3 tools and updated the rootfs as well.

If you simply follow the instructions now, it should work.

However, the reason why it didn't work previously this is a bit tricky.

The changes from Rev 1.0 to 1.1 are only mechanical, but also if you have the most recent version of the board,  then you should take into account that it comes with new SODIMM that requires 2018.3 First Stage BootLoader (FSBL).

If you have an older version of Board Support Package (BSP) than 2018.3 then most likely it won't work properly .. it simply doesn't boot because the FSBL is not suitable and therefore the next steps won't be reached (such as U-boot, Load Kernel, etc ...)

Please let me know if you have further problems.

Further information:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71961.html

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Boot-and-Configuration/Booting-ZCU-102-from-SD-Card/m-p/933243/highlight/true#M2033

Best !

Rashed

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi

I appreciate any help in this regard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution
Hi,

I have the same problem with same hardware. I will appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks in advance...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have ZCU102 ver 1.1 and I can not boot it on sd card. I have the same problem can anybody help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi guys !

The problem was solved with the last release shown here:

On March 29 2019, they updated the Ubuntu Desktop with 2018.3 tools and updated the rootfs as well.

If you simply follow the instructions now, it should work.

However, the reason why it didn't work previously this is a bit tricky.

The changes from Rev 1.0 to 1.1 are only mechanical, but also if you have the most recent version of the board,  then you should take into account that it comes with new SODIMM that requires 2018.3 First Stage BootLoader (FSBL).

If you have an older version of Board Support Package (BSP) than 2018.3 then most likely it won't work properly .. it simply doesn't boot because the FSBL is not suitable and therefore the next steps won't be reached (such as U-boot, Load Kernel, etc ...)

Please let me know if you have further problems.

Further information:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/71961.html

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Boot-and-Configuration/Booting-ZCU-102-from-SD-Card/m-p/933243/highlight/true#M2033

Best !

Rashed

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for detailed reply. 

I tried to make a bootable sd card by using Ubuntu_Desktop_Release_2018_3_1\Ubuntu_Desktop_Release_2018_3\Ready_to_test_images\ZCU102_UbuntuDesktop_2018_3.img and win32(or Rufus). But the Red led is on. I have tried the same process in different ways. Nothing changed.

Where do i fail?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi

I used the same image file and I got the same problem. Can anybody help on this issue?

As I understand from the latest release given in here (https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18841937/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Ubuntu+part+2+-+Building+and+Running+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+From+Sources) creating the hardware design and building the PetaLinux is the same as using the given image file. Can anybody confirm me on this?

Also, when I was building PetaLinux I ran out of memory with 8gb memory. Is this common?

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @ghostcobra. 

Sometimes you just have to reboot or turn the board off and on (even here it works :D )

* Do you get two partitions after you burn the image on the SD card? 

* Can you try another software for burning the image on SD Card? dd in Linux works perfectly for me.

* Is your SD Card locked with this tiny mechanical lock before it is inserted in the board? make sure it's always open.

* Can you provide more details about your situation? What messages do you see on the screen? or via tty ? If we can determine at which point the boot process fails, it would be easier to debug.

Please note that in case of pre-built Ubuntu Desktop image without any bitstream or hardware design, the init LED will definitely stay red because it turns green when the FPGA is successfully initialized with the bit stream. Page 80:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/zcu102/ug1182-zcu102-eval-bd.pdf

the problem might be in the compatibility with the screen you are using. Are you using Display Port? maybe you see the LED red and you think that Ubuntu didn't boot, while it already booted but your screen is unable to show you anything. 

Check here:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68671.html

Best,

Rashed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @sukrusinan 

Maybe I did not understand your question, but if you use the pre-built Ubuntu Desktop image then of course your hardware design (exported from Vivado) won't be involved. You will only see a running version of Ubuntu Desktop.

However, you can invlove your bit stream and hardware design by building Linux using Petalinux and replacing the FIT Image (image.ub) and the Boot Wrapper (BOOT.BIN) which exist on the Boot Partition of the SD Card with those generated by Petalinux.

I tried both cases and I can boot Ubuntu Desktop. However, if you only use the pre-built image without any hardware design, the init LED will definitely stay red because no bitstream to initialize the FPGA with !

Look at page 80 here:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/zcu102/ug1182-zcu102-eval-bd.pdf

So in this case, the problem might be in the compatibility with the screen you are using. Are you using Display Port? maybe you see the LED red and you think that Ubuntu didn't boot, while it already booted but your screen is unable to show you anything.

Check here:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/68671.html

if you can boot simple Petalinux and see nothing on the screen, then it's most likely the case that your screen is not compatible. In this case, you might need to use an Active Display port to HDMI.

Best,

Rashed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @rashedkoutayni ,

Sometimes you just have to reboot or turn the board off and on (even here it works :D )

-You're right :). But it doesn't work here.

* Do you get two partitions after you burn the image on the SD card? 

-Yes.

* Can you try another software for burning the image on SD Card? dd in Linux works perfectly for me

-In windows,  I tried two diffirent software: win32 disk imager and rufus.

* Is your SD Card locked with this tiny mechanical lock before it is inserted in the board? make sure it's always open.

-It is open.

* Can you provide more details about your situation? What messages do you see on the screen? or via tty ?

-I noticed two points:

1-) As you can see in the log file, the model name :"Model: ZynqMP ZCU102 Rev1.0". But our revision is 1.1 . It is a problem, isn't it?

2-) I think, i can login to ubuntu. Because on putty screen, i can write the password "root". Altough some errors pop out, i can see the some folders and files such as ferrari.jpg :D .But there is no signal on monitor(HDMI). I must use the monitor.

The log file can be found in the appendix (unlocked.txt) .

Thank you  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @ghostcobra. 

For the first point, I'm not sure if it's a problem. But since Ubuntu is booting, it's okay. Petalinux BSP is same for Rev1.0 and Rev1.1 in Xilinx website (assuming that the kernel was compiled from BSP2018.3).

Let's proceed to the next point.

I guess you're using the HDMI port, for which you have - as far as I know - to create an IP Block, and not plug and play.

The monitor is detected as per your log:

[    5.005152]   #0: DisplayPort monitor

after the kernel module was probed:

[    4.381468] zynqmp-display fd4a0000.zynqmp-display: ZynqMP DisplayPort Subsystem driver probed

However, it is for DisplayPort and not HDMI.

So either you have to use the DisplayPort cable to connect your kit to the suitable monitor, or to use an active HDMI converter to connect to HDMI monitor.

If you use ssh -X or ssh -Y it might work, I'm not sure .. because the X11 might not be that efficient for your case over putty, this is why you get the error messages at the end of your log.

Please try and let me know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @rashedkoutayni ,

I tried to connect to the monitor(HDMI) with Displayport-to-HDMI cable. But there is no signal. Do you have another suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @ghostcobra. 

* Would you please share your new log file again?

* Are you using an ACTIVE converter? Passive converters won't work.

By the way, sometimes you'll have to wait for a couple of minutes until it boots.

* Have you done apt update and/or apt upgrade through putty? maybe the boot takes a lot of time because of cloud-init.

My other sugestion would be to try to find a suitable DisplayPort monitor and to connect it to the board via DisplayPort cable.

Best,

Rashed

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi @rashedkoutayni 

I tried it with a monitor via display port and it worked, I observed the desktop. I am attaching the corresponding log file.

I think it did not work before because I just used a display-to-hdmi cable. Or my monitor is not compatible ZCU102.

Thanks. 

Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi,

Actually, I am trying to use ADRV9009 with ZCU102 and due to version change, analog devices do not have a proper image file for ZCU102. Therefore, I am trying to build the drivers on petalinux. The problem is that my computer cannot build the image file but I can use the already existing image file "ZCU102_UbuntuDesktop_2018_3.img". Do you have any resources for me to help using ADRV9009? Or do you have any resources to initialize the FPGA?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi @sukrusinan ,

Actually I don't have experience with ADRV9009. Maybe it would be better to create a new thread in this forum regarding it.

However, I can see that it can be attached as a device to ZCU102 via FMC port. May be you need to write a driver for this device (or simply add a node to the device tree before compiling the kernel using PetaLinux).

Here you have two problems:

1- Your PetaLinux crashes when you use it with your 8GB RAM for some reason >> try to find a better PC or debug your building process.

2- Adding a device to the device tree doesn't always work when you boot Ubuntu Desktop - I don't know why ! Evern Xilinx is not giving me answers for this.

I added my Userspace UIO device  to the device tree and I'm able to see it in PetaLinux, but not in Ubuntu.

Check my two posts:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Use-PL-as-Userspace-IO-Device/m-p/964966

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Ubuntu-Desktop-and-Generic-UIO/m-p/965404

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

I see the same issue. INIT_B stays RED and no output from DisplayPort. I'm using the prebuilt image. The console output is attached. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Jump to solution

Hi @jiez 

Would you post new message with /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

It seems X window and DP issue...

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi watari,

Later I noticed that my monitor does not DP port. I'm actually using a DP to DVI cable. I read that ZCU102 requires an active adapter. Maybe that's the case. I don't have a monitor having DP port to try. But I believe that's case. Thanks,

Jie

0 Kudos