UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Flash Boot.bin to QSPI using XSCT

Jump to solution

I have successfully programmed the QSPI using xsct and the program_flash tool. However I am getting an error on the serial terminal:

No valid device tree binary found - please append one to U-Boot binary, use u-boot-dtb.bin or define CONFIG_OF_EMBED. For sandbox, use -d <file.dtb>
initcall sequence 0405d32c failed at call 0403d884 (err=-1)
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

It boots on the sd card fine. The contents of BOOT.BIN are: zynq-fsbl.elf and u-boot.elf

U-boot then reaches out to a server and then downloads the image.ub file (device tree, kernel, root fs)

Why does QSPI need a device tree and how can I fix this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flash Boot.bin to QSPI using XSCT

Jump to solution

Hi @stephenm 

The issue was the u-boot.elf file I generated myself. I programmed the QSPI with a prebuilt BOOT.BIN and it worked so there was an issue with the u-boot file I generated.

The issue was when I built u-boot, petalinux added environment variables into my header file (zynq-common-new.h) most notably a fdt address and so I'm guessing when there wasnt one on that address at u-boot the board didn't like it. So I took out those generated environment variables and it works fine. Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Do you see this issue on the XSCT  when calling the program_flash utility?

program_flash uses a uboot binary under the hood to program the QSPI. So, I think the error is here. 

What version of the XSCT are you using?

Can you show the complete log please including the command you used?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @stephenm 

The issue was the u-boot.elf file I generated myself. I programmed the QSPI with a prebuilt BOOT.BIN and it worked so there was an issue with the u-boot file I generated.

The issue was when I built u-boot, petalinux added environment variables into my header file (zynq-common-new.h) most notably a fdt address and so I'm guessing when there wasnt one on that address at u-boot the board didn't like it. So I took out those generated environment variables and it works fine. Thanks

0 Kudos