cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Flash Boot.bin to QSPI using XSCT

Jump to solution

I have successfully programmed the QSPI using xsct and the program_flash tool. However I am getting an error on the serial terminal:

No valid device tree binary found - please append one to U-Boot binary, use u-boot-dtb.bin or define CONFIG_OF_EMBED. For sandbox, use -d <file.dtb>
initcall sequence 0405d32c failed at call 0403d884 (err=-1)
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

It boots on the sd card fine. The contents of BOOT.BIN are: zynq-fsbl.elf and u-boot.elf

U-boot then reaches out to a server and then downloads the image.ub file (device tree, kernel, root fs)

Why does QSPI need a device tree and how can I fix this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Flash Boot.bin to QSPI using XSCT

Jump to solution

Hi @stephenm 

The issue was the u-boot.elf file I generated myself. I programmed the QSPI with a prebuilt BOOT.BIN and it worked so there was an issue with the u-boot file I generated.

The issue was when I built u-boot, petalinux added environment variables into my header file (zynq-common-new.h) most notably a fdt address and so I'm guessing when there wasnt one on that address at u-boot the board didn't like it. So I took out those generated environment variables and it works fine. Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Do you see this issue on the XSCT  when calling the program_flash utility?

program_flash uses a uboot binary under the hood to program the QSPI. So, I think the error is here. 

What version of the XSCT are you using?

Can you show the complete log please including the command you used?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi @stephenm 

The issue was the u-boot.elf file I generated myself. I programmed the QSPI with a prebuilt BOOT.BIN and it worked so there was an issue with the u-boot file I generated.

The issue was when I built u-boot, petalinux added environment variables into my header file (zynq-common-new.h) most notably a fdt address and so I'm guessing when there wasnt one on that address at u-boot the board didn't like it. So I took out those generated environment variables and it works fine. Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos