UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Flash mem access through GPIO

Hello all,

I'm looking for pointers on how to put a filesystem on a flash mem accessed through a GPIO. I don't have a clear picture on how this is done, so any help is welcome.

Currently, I have a bootloader (which I wrote) in the FPGA, loaded into RAM on boot. The Atmel AT45DB321D serial Flash is connected via 6 pins of a GPIO (Chip select, serial clock, data out, reset, write protect and data in). In my bootloader I manipulate those bits to copy a linux kernel into RAM and launch it. After the kernel is launched I don't use the flash anymore. The filesystem is currently on NFS, but I'd like to put in in JFFS2 in the space left on the flash.

Now I imagine I first have to use a flash driver, but I'm confused by all the different standards: SPI, MTD, CFI, etc... I see CONFIG_SPI_GPIO which seems to use the same signals, but how do you tell the driver which GPIO pins to use ? And also the doc for that driver implies that there are much better ways to proceed... Which ones ? I saw the CONFIG_MTD_DATAFLASH option which includes my specific flash chip; so how do I tell it to use the flash through the GPIO ?

And once I can get the kernel to use the flash, how do I put the filesystem on it or only on 3/4 of it ? Do I need partitions too ?

I'm just a bit confused at this stage. Thanks.

0 Kudos