UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor nado
Visitor

Following the "Xillinux for Zynq-7000" Guide and can't boot (Unable to read file uImage)

Hello everyone,

I am a student from Germany who is doing his first babysteps in the world of embedded Systems, so please be kind if I dont get something trivial! 

So I got the task to install Xillinux on the Zynq-7000. My advisor gave me the pdf "Getting started with Xillinux for Zynq-7000 v2.0". So I am following the guide strictly and doing all the steps the guide did too. I came until  "4.3 Powering up the board".

From here I got some problems. The system is not booting correctly, I got the error-message 

"Unable to read file uImage". 

I had the following files on my prepared SD-Card: boot.bin, devicetree.dtb, xillinux.2.0.img and xillydemo.bit. All download/created with the help of the guide.

What I dont understand is that in the guide at page 21 ("3.6 The files in the boot partition") the author is talking about an uImage. So I am guessing I am missing an uImage but in the whole guide he is not talking about creating an uImage. So is the guide maybe skipping some steps which I dont know? What I have to do now? 

In addition I saw at the end of the guide a part about compiling the whole linux kernel. I did all steps and created my uImage and also a new devicetree.dtb. At the end I had the following files on the SD-Card: uImage, devicetree.dtb (the new one generated), boot.bin and xillydemo.bit. Here of course he found the uImage but I had some others problems. 

To be honest, I dont really understand the whole process yet and I have the impression the guide is skipping some parts. 

So maybe one of you could help me, if you need more information just ask me! 

Greetings from Germany 

Here the guide I am following: http://xillybus.com/downloads/doc/xillybus_getting_started_zynq.pdf

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Participant e.friel
Participant

Re: Following the "Xillinux for Zynq-7000" Guide and can't boot (Unable to read file uImage)

The uImage is an uncompressed kernel image. You can have a zImage which is a compressed version

Looking through that guide it seems to leave out quite a bit and the explanations arent great. I would recommend looking at Petalinux. It is a platform tailored to easily port a embedded linux system onto fpga's and the guides are much easier to follow.

Download Link for Petalinux and Xilinx SDK:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/embedded-design-tools/archive.html

0 Kudos

Re: Following the "Xillinux for Zynq-7000" Guide and can't boot (Unable to read file uImage)

Hi @nado 

Please add this below config in platfrom-top.h 

vim project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/u-boot/files/platform-top.h

#define  CONFIG_IMAGE_FORMAT_LEGACY in platform-top.h & build It should work.

Thanks & regards

Aarvind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Visitor nado
Visitor

Hello aravindb, thank you for your answer. 

I would like to change it, but I dont have this file(?). I checked in the "boot partition kit" and besides that the guide does not clarify to download something else. So in total, I have the Image (not a uImage, downloaded from the page), boot.bin, devicetree.dtb and xillydemo.bit all create with the help of the boot partition kit. 

Those are the only files I have. 

Could you please clarify where this file is coming from and in which step of the guide I need that?

Thanks, Nado

@e.frielYeah, true. I think first, I will try to make this running and after that I can discuss that with my professor, but thank you! 

0 Kudos
Participant e.friel
Participant

Inside your BOOT.BIN is your first stage bootloader (fsbl.elf) and your second stage bootloader (u-boot.elf). U-boot is looking to hand off control to the kernel (uImage) but it cant find the file.

Your options are to either find the file provided by the boot partition kit, build the kernel from source or use a build system which automates the build process for you (i.e Petalinux).

1. If you are building it from source then you need to install a cross-compiler firstly, download the linux kernel git repo (linux-xlnx), compile, build and then copy it onto the SD card.

2.  You provide Petalinux a hardware description file (hdf) or a board support package (BSP). You download prebuilt BSPs for zynq 7000 boards

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello,

Xillinux has been installed with no issues by hundreds of users worldwide, based upon the exact same downloads and user guide. If there's any fundamental error you've made, along with some of the people replying on this thread, it's to think that the user guide would be that obnoxious.

As stated in section 3.6 of the said guide, the uImage file should already be in the boot partition after writing the image to the SD card. It was most likely unreadable because of issues with your SD card. Odds are that just rewriting the image into the SD card would have solved that specific problem, but still left you with random errors occuring, once again, because of a low quality SD card.

Section 2.1 of the same user guide recommends using a reliable SD card, most preferably SanDisk. I warmly suggest replacing the SD card with a fresh SD card from SanDisk. Good chances that will get you up and running.

Regards,

Eli

0 Kudos
Visitor nado
Visitor

Thanks for your answers. 

I am using a SD-Card from Sandisk. So while copying the xillinux.2.0.img to the SD-Card, an uImage will be created automatically? 

Because the guide says, just copy the xillinux.2.0.img via different commands (I used Ubuntu) to the SD-Card and thats it basically. 

Best regards, Nado 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello,

Yes, the image contains two paritions. The first one is the boot partition, and uImage is inside that one.

I would suggest trying another SD card, even if it's Sandisk. Almost always when weird stuff happens booting Xillinux (problems booting, X-Windows won't start etc.) it turns out to be a low-quality or worn out SD card.

Regards,

Eli

0 Kudos
Participant e.friel
Participant

hi @nado 

Once you write the xillinux.2.0.img to the sd card location the uImage will be there in the boot partition. You just copy the three remaining files to the boot partition.

Hope that help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accept as solution - if you found this information helpful
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Visitor nado
Visitor

Thanks for all your answers. Ok I will buy another SD-Card and I will copying all files to the SD-Card and try again next week.

I will let you know if I have succeed

I did not understand this part "Once you write the xillinux.2.0.img to the sd card location the uImage will be there in the boot partition. You just copy the three remaining files to the boot partition."

That sounds like, I will prepare a boot partition on my SD-Card and automatically there will be  an uImage (any uImage)?.

0 Kudos