UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer inform_won
Observer

FreeBSD on Xilinx FPGA?

Is it possible to embed a freeBSD on a Xilinx FPGA instead of the RTOS found on the Xilinx XPS? Please shed me light..
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: FreeBSD on Xilinx FPGA?

Certainly it's possible.  Porting FreeBSD to MicroBlaze wouldn't be different than porting it to any other new processor architecture.  I haven't heard of anyone already having done it, but I also haven't particularly been looking for that.

There are existing ports of uCLinux to MicroBlaze, and a beta port of full uCLinux (using the MMU of the latest revisions of the MicroBlaze architecture).  If all you need is general POSIX APIs, maybe it would be easier for you to use that rather than starting a new FreeBSD port. 

0 Kudos
Observer inform_won
Observer

Re: FreeBSD on Xilinx FPGA?

Thank you for the light. I haven't seen any tool in the Xilinx XPS to port other RTOS aside from the defaults ones. Am i going to use a third party software?
0 Kudos