UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Function of .bit file in BOOT>BIN while booting linaro OS on Zedboard from SD card

I found that to boot Linaro OS on Zedboard we need BOOT.BIN file. Now for generating BOOT.BIN .bit file is required (optional). I want to know the function of this .bit file in booting. Is it that if I want to implement something on PL, I have to provide the necessary .bit file while generating BOOT.BIN. Then after booting Linaro, if I want to change my PL part, then each time after generating the bit file I have to generate BOOT.BIN. I think, this puts some constarint on programmer because if each time he/she needs to generate BOOT.BIN for some changes in PL, then it will be hectic task. Is there any option to use bit file later on. So that we can change or play around with the PL??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Function of .bit file in BOOT>BIN while booting linaro OS on Zedboard from SD card

There are plenty of options. Many have been discussed in the forum here already. For some examples, have a look at the wiki: http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Programming+the+Programmable+Logic

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Function of .bit file in BOOT>BIN while booting linaro OS on Zedboard from SD card

So we can program the PL from linux itself using the bit-file. Isn't it? In that case , what will happen to the earlier bit file, used while generating BOOT.BIN?? Another question. What is the necessity of bit file while generating BOOT.BIN? Is there anything common between PS and PL? So some distinction is made while booting Zedboard?

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

s,

1.  Yes

2.  Nothing (the old file is unchanged, and the PL is over-written with the new PL configuration)

3.  A placeholder, if nothing else.

4.  PS controls (manages) PL configuration at startup.

5.  Depending on boot mode selected, Zynq will boot from the selected source.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Scholar rfs613
Scholar

The BOOT.BIN does not require a .bit file. You really only need the first stage bootloader (FSBL). After that, you can load anything you want. Normally the next step is U-boot (and then Linux), or a bare-metal application.

Optionally, the FSBL can load the PL, before u-boot and linux. In this case of course, you would need a .bit file.

Putting it another way, the PL can be loaded in many different ways:
- from the BOOT.BIN via FSBL
- from U-boot from a variety of sources
- from Linux using /dev/xdevcfg
There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.
0 Kudos