UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor shane.kent
Visitor

How much SDRAM-DDR3 is needed to run Embedded Linux?

Hello all,

I'm looking to design a custom board around the Zynq 7010. I've been able to bring up a light distribution of Linux on the ZC702 Evaluation Board, but I'm not sure how much SDRAM-DDR3 is required as a minimum to get the distribution up and running.

Can anyone provide some information on this? Is there some documentation on this topic?

Best,

Shane

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: How much SDRAM-DDR3 is needed to run Embedded Linux?

From UG1144, the minimum requirements include:

External memory controller with at least 32 MB of memory (required)

Explorer
Explorer

Re: How much SDRAM-DDR3 is needed to run Embedded Linux?

Hi all,

Basically DDR3 holds the Kernel Image and SPI flash controller holds the Boot Image 

SPI flash required minim 2MB-5 MB, because uboot Imgae minium it takes 144KB (Not Bootstrap, bootstrap takes less than uboot Image).

DDR3 size based on how much kernel size , if it minimal kernel 16MB DDR3 also works fine, but in ARM boards , everything is memory mapped(I/O Device memory is part of RAM), so it takes minium 25MB size (Depends the connected I/O Devices).

If there are minimal peripherals , DDR3 size 16MB-25 MB works fine.

you if you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks & Regards

Satish G

G Satish Kumar
0 Kudos