UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer dyessgg
Observer

How to create custom board in Petalinux 2018.1

Jump to solution

I have a custom ZynqMP board running Petalinux 2018.1.  All runs well but now I need to add some low-level board-specific code in the Linux kernel and U-Boot.  Investigating the best way to do this, it seems this Petalinux project still references zcu102 board-specific files.

Is there information about the best way to create a new board in Petalinux?  Most of what I have found is quite old (2017.1 and older).

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to create custom board in Petalinux 2018.1

Jump to solution

Hi @dyessgg ,

I would recommend you to read the following blog from Adam Taylor, I believe this is what you are looking for:

https://blog.hackster.io/microzed-chronicles-building-petalinux-with-no-bsp-11a9c74946f8

Hope that helps,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @dyessgg ,

I would recommend you to read the following blog from Adam Taylor, I believe this is what you are looking for:

https://blog.hackster.io/microzed-chronicles-building-petalinux-with-no-bsp-11a9c74946f8

Hope that helps,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Observer dyessgg
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the pointer.  I'm a fan of Adam's and follow as many of his blogs as I can find.

I had not considered this approach for my current situation.  The main reason is I did not create the initial project/BSP and there is a lot of work to start over.

We've finally settled on just using GIT and branching from the mainline code for our specific hardware variations.  This will allow us to integrate any future mainline changes much more easily.

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I'm kind of struggling to understand how to use petalinux for a custom board also.  One of the first steps in UG1144 for creating a custom design from HDF file is to set the MACHINE_NAME to zcu102-rev1.0 (or similar) which I believe adds the zcu102.dtsi file but if you're using a custom board, Its not clear what to set it to... just leave it as template?  Also after creating the project is this way, the u-boot configuration seems to assume you're using the zcu102 board (SUBSYSTEM_UBOOT_CONFIG_TARGET = xilinx_zynqmp_zcu102_rev1_0_defconfig).  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant itwa-ost
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi

did you find a solution for this? I am at the same point basically and don't know what to put into those fields for a custom board.

0 Kudos
Observer dyessgg
Observer

Jump to solution

It wasn't a high enough priority to pursue at this time so I simply modified the necessary UBoot and Kernel code to customize for my board and left it as a ZCU102.

I hope to revisit this again, but it's unlikely.

Greg

0 Kudos