UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer nanfeng2808
Observer

How to run petalinux on my custom board without a flash memory ?

Hi all

There is no flash memory or other memory which can be configured as ROM on my custom board . There is only DDR3 RAM and an XC6VLX240T Chip on my board. Can I boot the petalinux and some application programs into DDR3 RAM or FPGA via PC computer directly ? If work , how should I do ?  Is there any examples or datasheet about this solution ?

Thank you !

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Observer nanfeng2808
Observer

Re: How to run petalinux on my custom board without a flash memory ?

Can the BRAM in FPGA be configured as ROM ? Or ,can I download the petalinux and applications into FPGA BRAM and then , boot the petalinux ?
0 Kudos
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

You can probably do a direct kernel boot via JTAG.

Which version of PetaLinux/Xilinx tools are you using?

Check the steps here
http://www.rte.se/blog/blogg-modesty-corex/create-new-petalinux-software-platform/4.12
0 Kudos
Observer nanfeng2808
Observer

Hi . Thanks for your reply.
My develop environment is petalinux-v12.12-final-full, ISE 14.3(lin) Application Version:P.40xd.
I test the design in ML605. I have done every step as the UG980-petalinux-board-bringup-guide.pdf. It is the same with the netpage you supply. But here is my problem. My hardware platform is presented as the following picture. I didn't add the linear flash device. When I direct kernel boot via JTAG by this command 'petalinux-jtag-boot -i images/image.elf' and after it is completely done, there is nothing displayed on the console.

I also do via xmd.

$connect mb mdm

$dow -data linux.bin 0xa4000000

$con 0xa4000000

The result is the same.

MyHardware.png

Before this, I can do this successfully via xmd or 'petalinux-jtag-boot -i images/image.elf' . I can see the ‘Petalinux’ text displayed on the console. There is exactly petalinux running in my board. The difference is the hardware platform . I have added the flash device.

Test010301.png

Is this the problem? Can you give me some advices about my problem ? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Observer nanfeng2808
Observer

What's the function of 'fs-boot' ? Is it the necessary when I want to direct kernel boot via jtag ?
0 Kudos
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

A non-volatile memory such as Linear flash or SPI flash is optional. The above procedure should work.

Have you enabled interrupts on AXI timer and axi ethernetlite IPs in the XPS project?

Did you also try the indirect kernel boot via U-Boot as mentioned in UG980?

0 Kudos
Observer nanfeng2808
Observer

Hi!As UG980 said,Configure fs-boot settings. fs-boot bootloader is used to fetch U-Boot image from the U-boot partition in

Flash to main memory and runs U-Boot from main memory when system boot up. Now I have no flash in my hardware ,  how should I configure the fs-boot settings?

Flash configuration.png

But I didn't add any kind of flash in hardware. I just wonder how to run the petalinux without the flash. Because there is no

flash or other non-volatile memory in my custom board. I can run the UG980 and UG979 successfully when I added the

linear flash in my hardware . That is to say , I can't boot the petalinux when I get rid of the linear flash in a new project. Will

this project work correctly ? Do you think there must be something configuration I didn't do properly in kernel configuration

or system configuration. Because my hardware is different from the common one. Please help me . Thank you .

0 Kudos
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

UG980 mentions that NVM is optional. There should be pre-built BSPs and reference designs with the PetaLinux. Did you try them?

Screenshot.png
0 Kudos