UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

How to write a uEnv.txt file for booting Linux on ZC706 ?

Jump to solution

Hello friends !

Now I have a BOOT.bin file , devicetree.dtb , uImage and uramdisk.image.gz files for booting a Linux on ZC706 . I suppose I need a uEnv.txt file and I don't know how to write one . By the way , my BOOT.bin file is built by Xilinx SDK but not petalinux .

Actually I have a uEnv.txt file for zedboard and it goes well (it is from another project) , I wonder if I could just revise it for zc706 project . 

Here is the content of the uEnv.txt file I have for now :

--------------------------------------------------------------------

uenvcmd=run my_sdboot
my_sdboot=echo Copying Linux from SD to RAM... && fatload mmc 0 0x3000000 ${kernel_image} && fatload mmc 0 0x2A00000 ${devicetree_image} && if fatload mmc 0 0x2000000 ${ramdisk_image}; then bootm 0x3000000 0x2000000 0x2A00000; else bootm 0x3000000 - 0x2A00000; fi
bootargs = "console=ttyPS0,115200 root=/dev/ram rw initrd=0x1100000,33M ip=:::::eth0:dhcp earlyprintk

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to write a uEnv.txt file for booting Linux on ZC706 ?

Jump to solution

Hi @wenzhao_xie,

uEnv.txt file is available in <plnx-proj-root>/build/tmp/deploy/images/zc706 directory.

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
6 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Are you using Petalinux and starting with the ZC706 BSP? If so, your u-boot environment (at least a baseline) should be setup for you, and you should be able boot into Linux with no extra work.  

Regards, 

Terry

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply and sorry for reply late !

I did use petalinux2018.2 to generate the rootfs file and I did see the configuration window after petalinux-config . I suppose what you are talking about is : petalinux-config -> u-boot configuration  -> u-boot configuration target and it should be zynq_zc706_config ?

I did make it zynq_zc706_config but when I try to search "zynq_zc706_config" under the folder of petalinux2018.2 it didn't show up ! Should I suppose to find a file or something ?

Thanks again !

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Are you using the ZC706 Petalinux BSP when creating the petalinux project? That is the easiest way to get a working system. Then you can customize for your specific needs. 

BSPs can be downloaded here: 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/embedded-design-tools.html

UG1144 Ch 3 discusses this flow. 

Regards, 

Terry

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your generous advice ! I didn't use BSP . In fact , I wanna build a v4l2 system so I turn to ADI's kernel image tool : https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/linux , to build a kernel image for its video capture driver . I don't know how to configure the petalinux to make its image.ub support the v4l2 , so I didn't use petalinux all the flow . 

I will soon look into the BSP . Thanks again for your reply !

Best Regards !

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @wenzhao_xie,

uEnv.txt file is available in <plnx-proj-root>/build/tmp/deploy/images/zc706 directory.

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
Visitor chandru88
Visitor

Jump to solution

where is this  <plnx-proj-root> is located? how to dowmload these files

0 Kudos