UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Howto build a user module for Ubuntu rfs instead of petalinux rootfs

I managed to build a user module and get it loading / unloading on a petalinux rootfs, as described in UG1144.

The first steps are :

# create a user module template for 'mymodule' -> see <project>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-modules
petalinux-create -t modules --name mymodule --enable

# build the user module
petalinux-build

according to UG1144, the build process output goes here :

mymodule rpm.png

I can see 4 'rpm' files, which seem to be packages that can be installed. 

Then UG1144 continues with these commands, to build the 'mymodule' into the petalinux image :

cd <project_root>
petalinux-build -c rootfs
petalinux-build -x package

When I try this out, everything works fine on my hardware target, I can indeed  'modprobe' and 'rmmod' my own generated module.

Now question : what do I need to do to get the same working on a Ubuntu RFS which I'm using, instead of a petalinux rfs? (The Ubuntu RFS is working, but I don't know how to add 'mymodule' correctly)

I don't think I can tell petalinux to use my Ubuntu image and run the 'petalinux-build -c rootfs' command ?

Do I need to use one of the .rpm files?

Also I found out that in the petalinux rfs, there are a bunch of files in the /lib/modules/<kernel version> folder :

modules files.png

I think these must be correct too before 'mymodule' can load? It's unclear to me what these files do / mean. Should I just copy these from the 'petalinux' image to my 'ubuntu' image? or how do I get these files corectly setup or generated on my Ubuntu image? Is this part of the 'rpm' install procedure?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Howto build a user module for Ubuntu rfs instead of petalinux rootfs

Hi

See if this help you out:-

Edit this FIT image input file to have ubuntu root file system path:-

build/tmp/deploy/images/plnx_aarch64/fitImage.its-1.0-r0

And convert this input file to image.ub using this command:-

mkimage -f build/tmp/deploy/images/plnx_aarch64/fitImage.its-1.0-r0  image.ub

0 Kudos