cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swally
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Petalinux in Ubuntu 12.12

Today is my first experience with Linux.  I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 12.12 and then did the same with Petalinux.  I installed Petalinux by just double clicking on the .tar.gz file.  It spent a lot of time installing but now I can't for the life of me figure out how to launch the program.  There is no desktop icon or exe anywhere.  I looked around the Dash Home button but all I see is the petalinux-v12.12-final-full directory with a bunch of sub folders but nothing I can click on to run this program.  The Petalinux install documentation only talks about installing from the command line which Ubuntu doesn't even have, at least not that I have found yet - I guess Xilinx needs to update the documentation. I haven't even gotten to loading the license. So I guess my first question is will Petalinux even work with this GUI version of Linux.  I'm a bit concerned given the documentation only talks about the command line. If it can run on this version how do I launch it and then install the license?  Do I have to install the Xilinx SDK if I can import a BSP from my Windows platform? Also, does Xilinx plan to release Petalinux on the Windows platform anytime soon?  FYI, I installed an TFTP program as well and that also seems to have disapeared.  I can tell it's Friday!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
austin
Scholar
Scholar

s,

Perhaps you need to open a (command) shell (terminal or c-shell) window in Ubuntu (Lower left hand menu:All Applications:System tools: Terminal), so you then have a command line?

.exe in Linux?  Icons?  You sould like a windoz programmer.  I am very confused by your post.

But then, it is Friday.

Is your first time trying to run Linux?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
swally
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this is my very first experience with Linux. Unfortunately my version of Ubuntu does not have a All Applications:system tools selection and I still can't find anything that looks like a command line.

So can anyone tell me whether Petalinux will even run on Ubuntu 12.12, 64 bit because that's what Ubuntu installed automatically?

Another strange thing is that I also installed a TFTP program and the history shows I did but I can't find that either.  The only programs I can launch are the ones Ubuntu installed when I installed the OS.

0 Kudos
swally
Contributor
Contributor

After some digging in the Ubuntu web site i found a short cut (crtl+alt+T) that brings up the terminal window.  With that I figured the next step would be to run the working environment setup script, 'settings.sh'.  I was really hoping that would work as advertised but it didn't. For some reason the script is adding my name to the path after home/ which of course results in an incorrect path. When I create a directory of my name and put the petalinux folder in it, the script adds it again so I end up with home/steve/steve/ which  of course doesn't exist. Any ideas?

INFO: Finalising PetaLinux installation
bash: /home/steve/petalinux-v12.12-final-full/tools/common/petalogix/bin/petalinux-finalise-install: No such file or directory
steve@ubuntu:~/petalinux-v12.12-final-full$

0 Kudos
alexandrucostea
Visitor
Visitor

for ubuntu... :

if you have a normal PC keyboard...

to get a terminal ... press "windows key" and write terminal then you can drag that icon to the left side bar if you want to have a clickable shortcut...

general...

use:

Xilinx tools 14.2

Petalinux SDK 12.12

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

and it will save you a lot of compatibility problems

WHAT YOUR ERR MEANS:

petalinux is actually requiring some libraries in order to be able to run the "install" script which it does when you do ". settings.sh" the 1st time you execute it from the petalinux main folder.

You can find all the required libraries in the Petalinux SDK installation guide >>>>page 12

ex for ubuntu:

tofrodos

iproute

gawk

gcc

make

zlib

etc...

also you need :

lib32ncurses5-dev

lib32ncurses5

lib32stdc++6

ia32-libs

** NOTE : to install a library or package or application ... from terminal .... do:

sudo apt-get install <name>

ex :  sudo apt-get install ia32-libs gcc gawk    (this will install ia32-libs gcc and gawk in series) if you are new to this, install one by one

P.S.: *libraries you need to install are all 32 bits. It might help if you have Ubuntu 32 bit  (not 64 bit) since you will not need to download some of them that are allready used by the system.

GUI for Petalinux:

see document: "PetaLinux-EclipseGuide"

the GUI for petalinux is basically a plugin for xilinx SDK and the walkthrough is fairly simple... but there is a catch

!!!!! IMPORTANT

you must run planAhead from the terminal you did "srouce ./settings.sh" or ". ./settings.sh" in the petalinux main folder. Otherwise nothing will work.

Also you need to run a script in linux for planAhead environment variables to be up to date

use this guide:

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_2/iil.pdf

0 Kudos
katsuke
Contributor
Contributor

Hello alexandrucostea,

in order to don't open another topic with the same subject, I'll use this one.

I'm using the Ubuntu 12.12 and the Backtrack 5 R3. On both I tried to run the petalinux 12.12 and 13.4. After installing all of the required files, I still having the problem with the kernel tree.

Here follow the log: 

Completing PetaLinux SDK Installation
=====================================

INFO: Checking free disk space
INFO: Checking installed tools
/usr/bin/gcc
/usr/bin/make
/bin/netstat
/usr/bin/gcc
/usr/bin/git
/usr/bin/gpg
/usr/bin/gawk
/usr/bin/dos2unix
INFO: Checking installed development libraries
INFO: Checking network and other services
udp        0      0 *:tftp                  *:*                                
/usr/bin/sudo
INFO: Checking for sudo permissions - you may be prompted to enter your password
Matching Defaults entries for test on this host:
    env_reset

User test may run the following commands on this host:
    (ALL) ALL
    (ALL) ALL
INFO: Initialising kernel tree. Please be patient.
fatal: Unable to create '/opt/petalinux-v12.12-final-full/software/linux-2.6.x/.git/index.lock': Permission denied
ERROR: Unable to perform initial kernel tree checkout
Please refer to the PetaLinux SDK Installation Guide.

Check the troubleshooting guide at the end of that manual, and if you are
unable to resolve the issue please contact customer support with file:
   /opt/petalinux-v12.12-final-full/post-install.log

I already try to give permission to all the folder, but it didn't solve the problem with the creation of the file.

Any idea?

Regards,

Katsuke

0 Kudos