UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor bleinweber
Visitor

Installing U-Boot on ML405

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm having problems getting U-Boot to run at all on my ML405 board and I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out what step(s) I am missing.  For right now, my goal is simply to get the U-Boot prompt in the terminal.  I'll deal with the Linux Kernel later.

To make it easy on everyone, I'm using the software located at the Xilinx Linux wiki only.  Here are the steps I took.

1. Install the PPC GNU Tools (ppc-2008-04-01.iso linked to from http://xilinx.wikidot.com/installing-eldk)

2. Clone the Xilinx U-Boot Tree (according to instructions at http://xilinx.wikidot.com/u-boot#toc6)

3. Compile U-Boot using the cross compile tools installed in step 1.  It compiled without any errors.

4. Download the ML405 PPC bit stream (http://xilinx.wikidot.com/local--files/powerpc-linux/ml405_rtos_dma_v2.bit)

5. Use Impact to download the bit stream to the ML405 board.

6. Use XMD to download U-Boot image to ML405 board (http://xilinx.wikidot.com/u-boot#toc15)

I have a terminal open running at 9600 8N1, but I'm not getting anything from the ML405.  These terminal settings work just fine with the ML405 reference design applications.

It looks like U-Boot's elf file puts itself into memory at 0x02000000 when you download it with XMD.  Just out of curiosity, where are the settings that tell U-Boot where to download and the rest of the devices that it can address are?

I'd really appreciate any help that you can give on this!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Installing U-Boot on ML405

Jump to solution

I don't think out u-boot is configured for the 405 out of the box, more like to be setup for the ML507 with 440.

If I remember right, you need to copy over the xparameters.h into the u-boot directory before you build it.  That should be documemented on the wiki I think. 

I think that will answer your other questions sort of also.

See if that helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

I don't think out u-boot is configured for the 405 out of the box, more like to be setup for the ML507 with 440.

If I remember right, you need to copy over the xparameters.h into the u-boot directory before you build it.  That should be documemented on the wiki I think. 

I think that will answer your other questions sort of also.

See if that helps.

View solution in original post

Visitor bleinweber
Visitor

Jump to solution

Well, the wiki states that it supports both the ML405 and the ML507. 

The U-Boot install comes with an xparameters.h file (.../board/xilinx/ml405/xparameters.h).  I was hoping that this parameters file was for the bit file provided for the ML405 on the PowerPC Linux page, but I'm not sure how to verify this.  I guess I could make a reference project with a new xparameters.h.  I just have to make sure that all of the devices are named exactly the same as in the xparameters.h file provided with U-Boot, right?

0 Kudos
Visitor bleinweber
Visitor

Jump to solution

Ok, making my own reference project and copying the xparameters.h file into the board/xilinx/ml405/xparameters.h seems to have done the trick.  I had to add XPAR_PLB_CLOCK_FREQ_HZ and XPAR_CORE_CLOCK_FREQ_HZ to the file, but after that it came up.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Visitor bleinweber
Visitor

Jump to solution

I take it back.  I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before when I was trying to do this, but it appears that the xparameters.h file that comes with the U-boot version provided on the Xilinx wiki page does go with the ml405 bit file also provided there.

U-Boot will startup, but I'm still having problems tftping images.

0 Kudos