UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jgoglio
Visitor

Intermittent boot hang - Picozed w/ custom carrier

I'm going to do my best to give all the details I can.

***BACKGROUND***

Hardware/FPGA:

• I am using a picozed (with Zynq 7030) and a custom carrier board.
  • At the moment, I am using the Zynq PL as a PCIe root host (as in this video). The code is very similar to theirs.
  • Using Vivado 2016.1

Software:

• The boot process goes through FSBL, U-Boot, and linux kernel 4.40-xilinx (with Fedora 20 OS).
  • Boot off the carrier, which allows booting from uSD or PCIe (via an NVME).

***PROBLEM***

Whether I am booting from the uSD or PCIe device, there is an intermittent hang (maybe once every ~5 boots) when U-Boot will fail to spin up the kernel (and the boot screen hangs at the "Starting Kernel..." message).

Weird part: This issue goes away when I remove the PCIe root host in the PL code and reappears when I insert it back.

I should also be clear that on uSD boot, the NVME (PCIe boot device) has been totally removed.

An lspci command (on a successful uSD boot with PCIe root host on PL and removed NVME) shows:

# lspci 00:00.0 PCI bridge: Xilinx Corporation Device 7111

so that looks fine.

***NEXT STEPS***

• Is it time to break out ChipScope already? The custom carrier board does make me suspicious.
  • If so, what signals would you look at? PCI_ref_clk, resets, etc.
  • Maybe update to Vivado 2016.4?

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has happened upon an issue like this or if you'd like to bang your head against a wall with me teasing out this weird behavior. Please let me know if you find my description lacking and I'll do my best to provide more info.

Thanks!

0 Kudos