cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant
Participant

Is it possible to use SDK with petalinux and HW design using jtag?

Jump to solution

Hello.

I want to develop User Application with jtag.

I know the way that export hardware, launch SDK, Make an user application, set the board jtag boot mode, debug at SDK.

But I want to know whether I can use debug user application which use petalinux provides, like linux header files.

If it is possible, I could debug and check errors my user application based on petalinux and my hardware design made by vivado in SDK using jtag immediately.

Now, I'm booting with SD card with petalinux 2018.3 include hardware design and user application, but it is so onerous to edit application sources, add application and make a image file to type so many commands, copy boot and image files, inject SD card from my desktop, insert the SD card to the Board, and so on..

Although my final project has to be in SD card, but It is not developed perfectly now, so I just wanna more convenient developing environment like using debug mode.

Anybody knows some solution to solve this problem??

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @JM_Park ,

First thing is first. I'm developing my applications as exactly what you asked.

I'm using Vivado/Petalinux 2018.2 , ZC702.

I have a design: CPU0 is Petalinux and CPU1 is Bare Metal.

Both of the CPUs has some applications and I'm debugging my application as you want.

• You mentioned about "jtag boot mode". Actually you don't need to use this mode(too slow). Instead I'm using sd card mode.
  • About debuging our softwares, yes we are using jtag cable, but again our boot mode is sd card mode.
  • Immediately discovering problems is possible by using SDK. I share a link with you about how can you do it.
  • This Xilinx link uses old version. There is a new feature, named "Test connection", after typing your board's ip address, by clicking this button you must be sure, really you can connect your board. 
  • I can recommend you. Give your board a static Ip address in your Petalinux configuration.

$petalinux-config
Subsystem AUTO Hardware Settings -->
Ethernet Settings -->
[ ] Obtain IP address automatically = N
(192.168.0.10) Static IP address (NEW)
(255.255.255.0) Static IP netmask (NEW)
(192.168.0.1) Static IP gateway (NEW)

• Then one time setup your connection to board by typing your board's ip address and connect it everytime by using same connection setup.
  • By using this way, you can start debugging, you can see real values and you can edit your code and can start your Petalinux application again and again. I'm doing it daily.

Saban

<--- If reply is helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question --->

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @JM_Park ,

First thing is first. I'm developing my applications as exactly what you asked.

I'm using Vivado/Petalinux 2018.2 , ZC702.

I have a design: CPU0 is Petalinux and CPU1 is Bare Metal.

Both of the CPUs has some applications and I'm debugging my application as you want.

• You mentioned about "jtag boot mode". Actually you don't need to use this mode(too slow). Instead I'm using sd card mode.
  • About debuging our softwares, yes we are using jtag cable, but again our boot mode is sd card mode.
  • Immediately discovering problems is possible by using SDK. I share a link with you about how can you do it.
  • This Xilinx link uses old version. There is a new feature, named "Test connection", after typing your board's ip address, by clicking this button you must be sure, really you can connect your board. 
  • I can recommend you. Give your board a static Ip address in your Petalinux configuration.

$petalinux-config
Subsystem AUTO Hardware Settings -->
Ethernet Settings -->
[ ] Obtain IP address automatically = N
(192.168.0.10) Static IP address (NEW)
(255.255.255.0) Static IP netmask (NEW)
(192.168.0.1) Static IP gateway (NEW)

• Then one time setup your connection to board by typing your board's ip address and connect it everytime by using same connection setup.
  • By using this way, you can start debugging, you can see real values and you can edit your code and can start your Petalinux application again and again. I'm doing it daily.

Saban

<--- If reply is helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question --->

View solution in original post