UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Linux Kernel 3.3 for Zynq will not start

Jump to solution
Hi, I've tried to build a 3.3.0 Linux Kernel from Git (http://git.xilinx.com/?p=linux-2.6-xlnx.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master-3.3), used the wiki description (http://wiki.xilinx.com/zynq-linux). The build succeeded but if I try to start the Dev-Board ZC702, the kernel will not start ... ## Starting application at 0x00008000 ... Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel. ...no more output on serial... Questions: - Do I also have to build a new Device Tree? - Do I have to set the CONFIG_PHYS_OFFSET variable in .config?
Tags (2)
output.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Linux Kernel 3.3 for Zynq will not start

Jump to solution

If you are using the fsbl, uboot and devicetree that was included on the SD card, you should be fine. If you are trying to use your own generated fsbl from sdk, you will need to compile the device tree that's included in the git linux. I think that it's located at arch/arm/boot/dts

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

If you are using the fsbl, uboot and devicetree that was included on the SD card, you should be fine. If you are trying to use your own generated fsbl from sdk, you will need to compile the device tree that's included in the git linux. I think that it's located at arch/arm/boot/dts

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

The 3.3 kernel, from master-3.3 branch, does require that you rebuild the device tree using the device tree for the 702 in the arch/arm/boot/dts dir of the kernel.  There is an incompatability introduced in the interrupt properties.

The wiki doesn't really address the 3.3 kernel since it's a development branch and not supported yet.  It does boot fine on the 702 last time I checked which was recently.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

I've rebuilt the device tree and it's working, thanks a lot for your help!

HB

0 Kudos