cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panorro
Observer
Observer

Linux boot halt on microblaze

Hello, I'm trying to boot an open source linux in a microblaze with a Spartan 3.

I've followed the steps of http://xilinx.wikidot.com/microblaze-linux, but my booting halts on:

early_printk_console is enabled at 0x84000000

Ramdisk addr 0x00000003, Compiled-in FDT at 0xc0271f78

I've been following the steps of a similar post: http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/crawl_message?board.id=ELINUX&message.id=1719, but its solution doesn't work to me.

I will attach my system.mhs and my xilinx.dts because I'm sure there is something wrong that I cannot see.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
panorro
Observer
Observer

When I'm on xmd I get this:

0 Kudos
panorro
Observer
Observer

Well, finally I made it booting. I changed lots of thinks (if someone wants I can send my mhs again), but only 2 questions:

Is it possible to have booting problems if I use physical memory addresses for my peripherics over 0xc0000000?

My boot is very slow yet (more than 1 minute). I'm using a Spartan 3 at 65 MHz, and I used sp3adsp1800_defconfig. Amy advice to make it faster? Should I use xilinx_mmu_defconf?

And last thing, I'm having problems when I try to use cache. If I enable it on MB, kernel is not booting. I have MB ver 7.20.d. Any idea?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
akugel
Visitor
Visitor

Hi. I get the same problem: early_printk_console is enabled at 0x84000000 Ramdisk addr 0x0000004b, Compiled-in FDT at 0x8c1e5ae8 Then it hangs. There is no memory at address 0x4b (at least not enough). What did you change to make it work? Andreas
0 Kudos
panorro
Observer
Observer

Hi Andreas. I don't remember exactly, but I think that my problem was with cache. When I turned off cache in microblaze properties It worked but really slow.

Then I was changing things in menuconfig, and I turned off some debug options that made logs from everything making boot slower. Finally I get it to boot quite fast.

I have my files, so I can send you my .mhs or .dts or what you need.

Which device are you testing? spartan 3?

I hope be helpfully to you because I spent a lot of time with this.

regards,

Jose Luis

0 Kudos
akugel
Visitor
Visitor

Dear Jose Louis, I would be glad for providing me with your files (akugel@ieee.org) . I don't get further than to the initial boot message. What did you do about the ramdisk? I don't find busybox or something for MB on the xilinx site. Andreas
0 Kudos
faezehas
Visitor
Visitor

hi

could you send your files to me either? my email address is fk57472001@yahoo.com.

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
panorro
Observer
Observer

Hello guys, 

I sent you my files. In them you will find some custom periferics that I needed, but that are not usefull for you. You can delete them. 

I hope it can be usefull. 

Recently we have begin to work with Spartan 6, and things are really more easy and linux works faster. My advice is upgrading the system if you want to work with kernel 2.6.

Hope to help anybody, 

regards

0 Kudos