UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

Linux demux mpeg ...

Hi,

I would like to create a IPcore for implement "demux" mpeg style, for use with existing linux drivers.

Can someone show me a starting point ?

Is it possible to do this ?

Thanks.

secureasm.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Linux demux mpeg ...

in a big enought fpga with enough time, anything is possible,

start small, get a dev board from you local xilinx supplier, 

see what happens

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hi drjohnsmith,

> start small, get a dev board from you local xilinx supplier, see what happens

I can easily think big (not very big anyway) :smileyhappy:

I just have made simple demux (PID, transport ID, section ID), with my own code on Microblaze (Spartan 3A DSP), and work very well (without OS).

I buyed ML402 (Virtex4 SX35, low cost board) and with help of Petalogix 0.40 I have made my first Linux System, for now only with console that work very well.

I would try in the development of a device and create my custom driver for see in "device tree". Then use the device with "open", "close", "fread", "fwrite", "IOR_", "IOW_" ecc.

On "user-PC" with linux and PCI-SAT board, linux add on device tree "demux", "frontend", ecc.

I would like to implement a hardware "demux" to appear in the "device tree" and use the driver already exists in Linux for the "demux" (dvb-core or linux-video).

I search only a starting point, since I still have not understood how to get started.

Thanks very much.

secureasm

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

your outside my knowledge range re linux on spartan 3 

mpeg demux I know a bit about.

PID filters are simple comparitors on the correct bits ib the transport stream,

if you have full rate transport stream, and linux on an fpga I'd be impressed.

sorry

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You need to learn to write drivers, I would get a device driver book for Linux and go from there. Device tree is not documented that well but there are plenty of examples of drivers using it. I would use platform data to get the driver working as it's easy then you can pull the data from the device tree if you want. You don't have to pull it from device tree ever if the driver data is not really changing (interrupts, memory addresses, etc....)

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Hi,

[for drjohnsmith]

> your outside my knowledge range re linux on spartan 3

I've seen Linux on Spartan 3A DSP, this is no a problem. Go here : Linux on Spartan 3

> PID filters are simple comparitors on the correct bits ib the transport stream

OK, it's true and my fpga hardware work with this technique.

> if you have full rate transport stream, and linux on an fpga I'd be impressed.

My goal is not to process mpeg in real time but only      demux PAT, PMT, SDT, EIT, NIT, ecc, for post processong info on Transport stream input. Utilizing everything is already written by the community for DVB: dvbsnoop, demux, libsi, ecc.

[for linnj]

> Device tree is not documented that well but there are plenty of examples of drivers using it.

Be so, I can not understand very well.

I read a lot of drivers for dreambox, QBOX, etc.. but not yet come to nothing.

There is still no link between the hardware and Linux :smileysad:

Thanks.

secureasm

0 Kudos