UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Linux kernel upstream status

What is the status of moving support for zynq into the upsrteam Linux kernel?

I follow the kernel lists occcasionally and am concerned I do not see any driver submissions for the Zynq peripherals. Experience with other vendor trees suggest that unless there are vigorous efforts to upstream code, the long term support situation becomes grim as the vendor code base becomes poorly supported as their development efforts move to new products.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Linux kernel upstream status

The long-term plan is to merge upstream. We are very actively working on our drivers at the moment and when that starts to settle down we will be cleaning up and trying to merge upstream.
0 Kudos
Observer rgetz
Observer

Don't wait - this is what staging is for (work in progress drivers, so others in the mainline can look them over).

If you wait - you will just have to do it another time - since it might end up what you are working on (your version of perfection) isn't going to be accepted upstream....

Release early, Release often, send things to kernel.org

-Robin

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Amen. Waiting until you have fine tuned thedriver may lead to disappointment of sections need re-work due to review comments.

I know the fpga loader will generate review comments about it being specific to zynq, when fpga loading is a general problem. I've seen two different attempts at loading Xilinx fpgas as drivers, both of which have their merits, but they didn't get driven upstream.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

I understand and agree.  We have had many conversations about getting back to the upstream and they are still continuing.  I will pass this on to management again also.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks John.  I understand management needs to hear from customers that we want to build from the main kernel repo so we have a long term support solution in place.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help get the message to the decision makers.

0 Kudos

Hello,

I also want to emphasis that having the drivers in the mainline would ease things. We have several Linux projects in house and we don't want to maintain a kernel tree for each vendor (Xilinx, TI, Freescale etc.).

Right now we look occasionally on the xilinx git tree and move the driver commits over to our mainline kernel git copy.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Thanks for the input, yes we agree. Now that we have acquired Petalogix we have more resources to help this problem.
0 Kudos
Visitor kraiskil
Visitor

Any update on this?

Getting vanilla Linux working on Zynq is still not an easy path to walk. There seems to be partial support upstream,

but if I want boards to work, I should use Xilinx's github repo, or for Zybo, the 'master-next' branch (!) on Digilent's fork of the Xilinx Linux tree.

Or it could be there is just old documentation lying around in the wikis? I'm just a programmer/end-user, not a kernel hacker.

Particularly: should the Zynq ehtnernet controller work with upstream Linux. The xilinx_emacps.c seems not to be in the upstream.

0 Kudos