UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor rosh
Visitor

Linux on MicroBlaze (Custom board), Windows EDK/ISE

Hi all,

I'm trying to learn about embedded linux.

I have a custom board with a Spartan 3E 1200E FPGA running MicroBlaze. the board has SDRAM(256Mb), PROMs(4Mb), SDCard etc (I can provide more info on the board if necessary)

I'm able to successfully run standalone applications. But I would like to know how I can download and run Linux on the MicroBlaze. I have looked at Petalinux, uCLinux, BlueCat - but Im not able to find a 'how-to' document anywhere.

I am hoping to avoid a boot loader (at first) and try out Linux on the FPGA using XMD - by downloading the ELF

One more thing - The Xilinx tools (ISE/XPS/EDK etc) are installed on a Windows PC. But I have Ubuntu Linux running on a VM as well - so I have access to Linux and Cygwin.

Please tell me where to start - and which Linux version to try.

Many Thanks

Rosh

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Observer fk5747
Observer

Re: Linux on MicroBlaze (Custom board), Windows EDK/ISE

hi

try xilinx wikidot. http://wiki.xilinx.com/

0 Kudos
Visitor bd3lk
Visitor

@fk5747: Thanks I will try the method given inthe Xilinx Wiki, although the method given there has not been tested on Spartan 3E..

0 Kudos
Observer fk5747
Observer

I've tested it and it works fine! good luck

0 Kudos
Visitor rosh
Visitor

Thanks alot !

0 Kudos
Visitor zoocad
Visitor

You may find some useful information in my blog: http://svenand.blogdrive.com/archive/122.html

Sven 

0 Kudos
Visitor bd3lk
Visitor

Hi Sven,

Thank you for your reply.

I've actually come across your blog before, and I want to say it's one of the most informative blogs on Xilinx FPGA tools and MicroBlaze specific projects i've found on the net.

Just a small request though - If you could include a better search system for the mass of info - then it would be a perfect site for all beginners.

And I see you're using PetaLinux - thats not free right ? :(

Many Thanks

Rosh

0 Kudos
Visitor zoocad
Visitor

Hi Rosh,

I am glad you like my blog. I have added a local Google search engine only searching my blog entries.

It is also a good idea to first look at the Table of contents to scan through all entries.

Yes , a PetaLinux SDK license normally has a price but I got a free evaluation license.

Sven

0 Kudos